Advice for standard focal length EF lens

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Riggaberto, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Riggaberto

Riggaberto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    As a gift, I've been told I can purchase a lens for my rebel. Little did the giver know that I could easily buy a $12,000 lens. At any rate, I'm limiting it to around $500. This unfortunately puts me out of range of most of the L lenses.

This will be my standard lens to replace my crappy kit lens of the 28-90 variety. It's not like it's that bad, but I want my most used lens to be of reasonable quality. I want it to be anywhere from the standard, to short telephoto range, but I'm open to many suggestions. I should note that I'm able to use my uncles 70-200mm f/4L, which is quite nice. I probably would be buying that if I didn't have access to one, it's incredible.

Anyway, the only idea so far I have is this:
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Seems to be a (reasonably) versatile focal length, considering it also has macro capabilities, which I'd really like. To anyone that has it, how does it do with taking non macro photos? Comparing it with the 50mm macro it seems to have better build quality. I like the idea of being able to take decent portraits, and then filling the frame with the subjects eye if feel like it, haha.

I'd really appreciate advice on the best way to take advantage of this gift, I'm thinking that's it so far, but it's going to be my primary lens for some time, and I want to make a versatile, quality choice. Like I said, I'm very open to suggestions for anything, I appreciate the imput. Thanks for the help!

2. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you're looking for a lens to be your primary one for a while then i'd have thought a zoom lens would be more useful.
    That's not to say the one you mention isn't any good - i'm sure it is although i've never used it.

The only thing is if you're limiting your budget to $500 then most zoom lenses won't be that much better than the one you already have unless you go for an image stabalized version.

3. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    50mm f/1.8

4. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    (huh?) Modest aren't we?

anyways.... $12000 "easily"... then you can spare a bit more budget for a good lens.

IMO, Either

24-70mm f2.8L
    24-105 f4L IS
    28-135mm USM IS

with 50mm f1.8

5. I think he was kidding, I don't think he's allowed to go blow $12K on lenses :sexywink:

The 50mm 1.4 (note I'm not saying 1.8) is great.

I have the 100mm and it is quite good. It's the best macro lens that Canon makes. It is also really nice for non-macro photography. These were taken with my 5D.

[​IMG]

6. Riggaberto

Riggaberto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I didn't mean easily as in I have money coming out of my ears. The person that's buying this for me really has no idea how much this stuff costs, and 500 is what I'm guessing I can squeeze out of here, albeit barely :(

Those are some nice photos, they were taken with the 100mm macro? That f/1.4 50mm looks really nice too though.....gah. Why are you noting the 1.4 though? Digital matt said 1.8, are there quality differences other than the obvious aperture size?

7. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    First the 100mm f2.8 is an outstanding Macro and portrait lens. To see if this focal length is useful borrow that 70-200 and set it to 100mm and walk around with this. For me 100mm is way too long for a standard lens.

The 100 macro is not great when used in lower light as the focus can search quite a bit (this is normal for macro lenses).

As a standard lens I'd also recommend a decent sharp zoom. Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or 28-75 f2.8 are both excellent zoom lenses that are quite a bit cheaper than their Canon equivalents and not much of a drop in image quality.

The 24-105L and 24-70L are both outstanding lenses and if you can stretch these are the top choices - put something to it yourself to make up the difference :)

Although the 50s are great lenses, I'm not so keen on using a primes as my main lens. Fine in and around the home if you've lots of space but the zooms are more versatile.

There's a huge choice and it's more down to what you shoot. Can you post more info on what you intend to shot?

regards
    Jim

8. Riggaberto

Riggaberto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Very helpful, thank you. I dont tend to shoot anything in particular, which is why a zoom is probably my best choices. The 70-200 I can use covers my longer telephoto needs, so I think a good quality standard zoom would be my best choice more and more....gah the Ls are expensive though, I really should get one though.

It's just if I need to help on the cost it's going to be forever. I'm a jobless 18 year old who cant find a job in the 3 months left before I move away for college (hopefully, I dont even know) I dont wanna be stuck with my ****ty kit lens for another 6 months...but I dont wanna settle for lesser quality either.

9. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Get one of the Tamrons. They are reasonably priced and great quality.