Advice from a professional

bace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so you take great pictures.

Stop listening to peers. 80% don't know sh!t around here. 10% do and don't help because they don't need the competition and the other 10% are busy working and feel like your work is fine anyway.

Get away from listening to people unless you truly admire their work. Ask specific people about your work. Don't ask strangers. The anger and time you put into talking with these people would be better spent googling what it is you want to learn and doing it.

Apprentice or assist for a pro. I learned what a professional does at a shoot. How they act. How they keep their cool. What they use gear wise, and how I could do the same with way less.

You're you own best critic. You know what style of photography you want to shoot, so learn. Keep shooting, ask people how to achieve that look. Ask photographers you find on facebook. Whatever. Stop asking a general population of severely under-qualified people.

I had some great times on forums being a troll years ago. A soon as I stopped posting on forums my life got better. Forums are a hole for trolling and bull****. And the anger it builds inside from ****ty comments from people is just not worth it. Who needs that kind of negativity on their shoulders.

If anyone wants to ask a personal question you can contact me on my site.

I'll probably be banned or this post will be removed soon so, peace out!

Paul

...Stop listening to peers. 80% don't know sh!t around here. 10% do and don't help because they don't need the competition and the other 10% are busy working and feel like your work is fine anyway.
I don't really think that's fair comment; TPF has some VERY skilled and knowledgable photographers who spend a LOT of time helping others.

...I'll probably be banned or this post will be removed soon so, peace out!
Sorry... today's not your day to become a martyr!

You raise great points!

I often get flack for saying that I only value the feedback I get from certain members whose work I hold in high esteem. But it's true, if I don't like your work or technique then why should I take what you say about mine as gospel? Granted there is a certain value in getting feedback from a "general" audience, but it shouldn't cloud your view on your own work.

If I get a positive comment from one of the folks on here that I respect it means more than 100 pages of praise, more so if they are a master of a similar subject.

I too have to disagree. I have gotten a lot of help from TPF and have seen drastic improvement all because some strangers didn't feel the need to sugar coat my "problem areas". I will however say that certain contributors comments carry more weight that others.

hmmm - nice way to start the day... As for ME - I might not be great but I am better thanks to those who have taken THEIR time to help me.

Special thanks to those, TOOOO many to mention!

I don't really think that's fair comment; TPF has some VERY skilled and knowledgable photographers who spend a LOT of time helping others.

I disagree. I have been here long enough to see people come in who have limited skills, but then stay around long enough to parrot what they see other more informed people posting and play themselves off as "experts".

my mom says im special.

I'm curious...and will probably regret asking this, but...what qualifies someone to give critique?

Sorry, I disagree.. I've grown a lot as a photographer in the last 2.5 years by hanging around this forum. I highly doubt anyone is worried about their competition on here.

Ok, so you take great pictures.
If a poster takes great pictures, how would accepting critique do any harm?

...Stop listening to peers. 80% don't know sh!t around here. 10% do and don't help because they don't need the competition and the other 10% are busy working and feel like your work is fine anyway.

I guess my thought is I really don't care who gives me advice, if it's something I can use and benefit from that's great, if it's not I thank them for their time and move on. I've gotten a lot of really helpful information here. I guess it helps if you approach things with an open mind and realize that you can quite often learn from people of all skill levels. A guy doesn't have to be a bonafide expert with a dozen degrees in art to get me pointed in the right direction for things like the rule of thirds, etc.

...I'll probably be banned or this post will be removed soon so, peace out!
Sorry... today's not your day to become a martyr!

Hmm.. not today then. Ok, how about .. lets see.. Thursday of next week? Thursday's would work good for my schedule at least.. lol

I'm curious...and will probably regret asking this, but...what qualifies someone to give critique?

My take is that anyone can give a critique, but it's up the artist to filter out who to listen to and who to not.

For example, are you going to take developing advice from someone who has never done it before? I have personally spent very little time in a darkroom and when I did it was only BW. So knowing that would you take my advice on your technique?

Most reactions

Back