advice from professionals

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawpaws

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am interested in getting into the photography business. This will basically be as a parttime interest/job. i have no idea where to start. What kind of camera do i invest in, what kind of lens? Do i use a photoshop program? Mainly my focus would be of people, pets and outdoor photography. should i take a photography class? any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated. thanks

I am interested in getting into the photography business. This will basically be as a parttime interest/job. i have no idea where to start. What kind of camera do i invest in, what kind of lens? Do i use a photoshop program? Mainly my focus would be of people, pets and outdoor photography. should i take a photography class? any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated. thanks
What do you do for a living? Have you taken any college courses, especially business-related courses? Do you have any other schooling or training, either college, vocational or on the job?

My answer would depend on whether you're leaning toward "This will just be for fun, and if I can make some money at it, well, all the better" or "I want to turn this in to a career to pay my mortgage with."

I haven't had this topic come up in almost a week. My advice, choose another line of work. Maybe French poetry from May 1803-July 1803, or perhaps something in the food serving industry, only part time though. You'd make more money, and you'd get a cool name tag.

I haven't had this topic come up in almost a week. My advice, choose another line of work. Maybe French poetry from May 1803-July 1803, or perhaps something in the food serving industry, only part time though. You'd make more money, and you'd get a cool name tag.
QFTT!!! Another three, four months like the last one, and I'll be able to afford a pizza (one-topping only mind).

just grab whatever best buy recommends. If you do outdoor photography, don't worry about getting a flash or learning about lighting, just call yourself a "natural light photographer". also, if your photographing people, don't worry about learning about composure. Just let the people do whatever they want and call yourself a "lifestyle photographer". Make up a cool business name, start a Facebook business page,get some cheap business cards printed out.
Post a few pictures and wait for your friends and family to comment on how great they are. next thing you know...Business is BOOMING!

just grab whatever best buy recommends. If you do outdoor photography, don't worry about getting a flash or learning about lighting, just call yourself a "natural light photographer". also, if your photographing people, don't worry about learning about composure. Just let the people do whatever they want and call yourself a "lifestyle photographer". Make up a cool business name, start a Facebook business page,get some cheap business cards printed out.
Post a few pictures and wait for your friends and family to comment on how great they are. next thing you know...Business is BOOMING!

Sarcasm? Bitter maybe a little bit?

sarcasm? probably.
bitter? nah, i got nothing to be bitter about.
Ironic? if you cant see it, oh well.

and how are you so sure that wasn't a serious suggestion? now you are just speculating on what YOU perceive to be an insult.
bitter much? :mrgreen:

I would start by spending a few days searching through this forum and breaking these questions down in bite size pieces. What you just asked for is alot. Start with one thing at a time.

I read an article recently where they listed the top 10 worst careers and photography and graphic artist were in there in like the top 5. Very low hopes of making any real money, everyone wants to do it, yadda yadda yadda...

Oh, boy. This is complicated.
First read this http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ning-business-building-house.html#post2707594
Then begin playing the lottery.
Then you need to get an education in photography and how it works
Then you need a MAJOR education in business.
If you expect to make more than minimum wage (if that) in the next 3 years-don't do it.
Expect your initial outlay to be in the vicinity of $5000 to $10,000. That's IF you make your decisions wisely and don't make any initial low end camera choices and mistakes. If you intend to do weddings scratch that $5000 figure and expect it to be $8000 to $15000.

sarcasm? probably.

and how are you so sure that wasn't a serious suggestion? now you are just speculating on what YOU perceive to be an insult.

Ohh man I'm just messing with you. No hard feelings I hope.

...Expect your initial outlay to be in the vicinity of $5000 to $10,000. That's IF you make your decisions wisely and don't make any initial low end camera choices and mistakes. If you intend to do weddings scratch that $5000 figure and expect it to be $8000 to $15000.
I would submit that MLeek's estimates are VERY conservative.

sarcasm? probably.

Ohh man I'm just messing with you. No hard feelings I hope.

what? nah man, i was just messing around. hence the :mrgreen:. they need a "tongue in cheek" icon. Its all good. :hugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back