Advice needed about resolution settings for D800E

Why would you buy that camera if you're not going to utilize the reason you bought it?
'Tis a mystery indeed!
You're literally capturing 3x as many pixels, then confused the file size is also 3x as large. Much mystery. :p
Nope, not confused at all. I'm clearly capturing 3x as many pixels. I just wants to people's opinions on whether its best to select med norm or small fine to get the same file size. Seems like a perfectly sensible question to me.

Why aren't you shooting in raw (NEF) format????
Simples! File sizes just too big. I have to process all my files quickly between shoots. Loading up 100 files each of getting on for 100 mb will impede my workflow big time. Also, as I'm controlling my light, I get perfect exposed results every time so no need to shoot raw. There is nothing to recover. Just a quick touch up in PS and Portrait pro and it's done.

You say "obviously", but that isn't quite correct. You will not reduce any of your noise any more than you could if you shot in full size and properly used noise reduction.

It would be fair to dance around the truth if you were a hobbyist, but you're shooting professionally.

If JPeg works for you, shoot in the highest quality possible, and utilize the storage space you need. If you're doing bulk work (an entire high school or something like that), then a lower quality might make sense. Bulk editing in RAW should be, in most cases, better than auto JPeg settings. Especially in a studio setting.
Mm, interesting and thanks for your comment. Jpg works for my studio shoots and I have never had any complaint. I have always used the D700 set to large and fine and shooting at 12 mp has been fine. I would shoot in RAW but the file sizes would impede my progress in the studio big time. I'm rattling through the photo shoots like there is no tomorrow! I use RAW for other things but in the studio, jpg works (quickly) for me.

While it sounds like you had perfectly good results with the D700, the general consensus is to use the extra information that the D800 can provide and just go with the bigger file sizes. If you are shooting JPEG and not doing any processing then the larger file size is really just a matter of buying more storage space and using larger CF cards.
Thanks. I just don't need the massive file size for my studio work. 12 mp is just fine for what I'm doing. I just want to emulate the d800e to be like the d700. When I cover weddings, air shows, gig photography etc I use RAW and take my time over selecting the photographs, but the studio stuff has to be fast, in, out, next etc...

I would probably go with medium normal for some slightly larger file sizes and optimised for quality (vs. optimised for size) on the d800.

I know my sister is perfectly happy with those JPEGs from her D700 and has not bothered to move to the D8xx.

I would probably go with medium normal for some slightly larger file sizes and optimised for quality (vs. optimised for size) on the d800.

I know my sister is perfectly happy with those JPEGs from her D700 and has not bothered to move to the D8xx.
Thanks. I'll take that on board.

are jpg from the D800E any better than from a D7100? The whole advantage of the D800/810 is the dynamic range and resolution. Seriously I don't know and am curious to that answer. My suspicion is a D800 is not any advantage shooting jpg.

are jpg from the D800E any better than from a D7100? The whole advantage of the D800/810 is the dynamic range and resolution. Seriously I don't know and am curious to that answer. My suspicion is a D800 is not any advantage shooting jpg.
I've only had the 800E a few days so not its difficult to say, but from my experimentation with resolutions and file sizes, I can't tell the difference. You mention the 7100 but my other camera is the 700 so they are both fx sensor. I cannot tell any difference so far.

What's the file size difference between the TIFF and RAW?

I don't like the idea of using compressed files for final products. JPG Basic has a compression ratio of 1:16.

Nikon also suggest that the small size is good for a 12x8in print, and the Large size still only good for 24.5x16.5in so quite a bit of upscaling needed to print at 40x30. Using Basic jpeg, im sure the lossy compression artifacts will certainly be noticeable. All to save disk space?

Up grade your editing computer so it can handle the full size files.
Yup, already been thinking the same!! more money!!!!
Or buy a cheaper body that creates smaller files for your studio work and save the d800 for other shooting endeavors

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back