Advice Needed - Commission

beckyboo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am needing some advice - we have been commissioned to take some photographs of a town in the 4 different seasons - and then get them printed 6ft by 6ft.

This is not a problem - other than the fact I have no idea what to charge - the client (a good one) is needing a price today and I am just so worried about what to charge.

I don't want to scare him off - but on the other hand, I don't want to do it dirt cheap.

I don't even know where to start - does anyone have any good advice on this. I reckon we will visit the town twice per season.

I would be grateful for any advice - I am at my wits end!!!

Becky

Do you have the equipment necessary to create photos that can be enlarged to 6'x6'? Will you have to rent it? Are you aquiring the prints, or the client? Do you normally visit the town, or will this require special trips? What are the travel expenses? How is the client going to use the photos? Will you retain copyright?

Start by figuring out all of your possible expenses relating to this project, and then double that figure; there will always be unexpected expenses, and they can add up quickly. Now you know the minimum you need just to break even.

I would charge a minimum of $1000 each on top of all expenses, and I think that's at the low end.

The total you come up with might very well shock you, but don't short-change yourself because of it. Do not get into a contract that will cost YOU money to complete. It's better to lose the job than to have to pay to do it. There may be times when you want to do one at cost, but losing money isn't a good idea.

If someone came at me with a budget of less than $10000 for a project like this, I wouldn't even take them seriously.

Most reactions

Back