Advice needed for beginner

Hi all!

Thanks for the info.

One more thing to ask. What is the likelihood of the D7000 successor being released this year?

I have regular use of the 18-105mm (although it's not mine) and I find it suffers from terrible barrel distortion at the wide end of the focal range. If I were choosing from the lenses you listed in the OP, I'd go for the 35mm prime and the 55-300mm. That way, you have a good sharp wide angle (you can move if you want to get closer or further away from your subject!) and great reach with the zoom.

I don't understand these distortion complaints with respect to these consumer kit lenses. It's even more silly when you consider that, with one click and and the use of a slider, the distortion is largely taken care of:

Uncorrected:

i-SxHTmj5-X2.jpg

Corrected in Capture NX2:

i-sbWf3rw-X2.jpg

The cost of a lens without distortion at the wide end is far more than the cost of a cheaper lens plus software that can be used for ALL lenses to correct distortion, as well as process in other ways.
There is no perfect lens.

You want to complain about something, complain about uncorrectable CA in $1200 fast prime. ;)

Also, opinions differ of course, but 35mm is not very wide on a DX body - in fact it's down right normal. People need to be able to get wider. That's why kit lenses are 18-xxx mm. At a later date, they may decide that they don't shoot wide, but I would lose my mind if the widest I could go was 35mm on a DX body.

I thought you might like to see what the $1300 Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 does at 17mm:

i-kfnxMtQ-X2.jpg

And corrected. Same button click (no slider though). Color distortion was also corrected by same click - boy the 17-55 REALLY sucks! Who knew? ;)

i-PQCPKVv-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Sleist!

Your comparison helps to make it a lot clearer.

As I said before, I do use Lightroom and Photoshop quite a bit, so corrections like this shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again.

Hi all!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a backpack? I'm looking at the sling-style ones as I want to be able to have access to the camera and equipment without having to take the bag off.

There are a couple I've been looking at, but would like to hear from those with some experience?

And does anyone have any idea if the D7000 successor will be out any time soon? I'd hate to spend so much money on a D700 and a better model comes out a month later.

It will be helpful if you mention the type of photography you are most interested in.
Because if you like landscape photography - you should invest in a good wide angle lens for sure. 10-24mm is very good.
Otherwise, I love the 35mm lens. It is an excellent lens.
If you want zooming capabilities, 55-300mm is a decent choice.
I wouldn't recommend buying the 18-55mm. It is a starter lens. But seems like you have the budget to get 2 lenses. You can go for 35mm and one other lens based on your interest.

Most reactions

Back