Advice needed for buying SLR.......please help!!

Hitesh Bansal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,

I have been using a 5M Nikon point and shoot compact digicam till now. I am planning to upgrade to an SLR really soon.

M a first time slr buyer and have a budget of around 1750 USD. I have read a lot on various Cameras as offered by Canon, Nikon and Sony and their lenses. As in I am aware of all the technical stuff and terms like VR, OS, HSM, SWM, APO, ED, DX etc etc. I have an idea about the types of lenses too and their capabilities.

From the prices I checked on the websites, I guess I can buy a Nikon D300, D200, Canon D40, XSi, XTi and Sony A700 & A350 and all the lower end models of each of the company's line up.

I would like to photograph architecture, landscape, wildlife & some closeups (Macros are expensive, but something closer to a macro would help :)). I am not able to decide on what camera to buy and what kind of a lens would serve my purpose best.

Please help me out if u can suggest a camera and an accompanying lens in a budget of around 1750 USD. I am not averse to buying a third party lens but would prefer a company lens itself.

Regards
Hitesh Bansal

I am by no means a dSLR expert and am just getting into shooting with one but, since no one else has replied yet (though they soon will), I'll at least give you my thoughts and what I think others will point out. You have a pretty nice budget in my opinion and I have the feeling some will suggest you spend just what you have to while others will say go all out and then some will say buy the body that feels best to you. I am not sure which of these would be the best for you but I know that others will have a much better idea as there are many gurus on this site who have LOTS of shutterbug experience. My main suggestion is to try out at least one camera from each brand and in each range to get a feel for them and see if one feels more right to you and seems more intuitive in general (in feel and dealing with the controls). I went with the Nikon D40 without even touching a dSLR before, which for most would be a mistake; it just happened to work great for me. I later went to Circuit City and tried out a bunch of them and found the D40 and D60 much more user friendly (to me at least) than the Canons. I don't think I tried the Sony or Pentax ones (either didn't see them or the Nikons kept my attention - was probably trying to find the rangefinder function on the D60). One thing I do regret is not highly considering what new glass will work with the camera - older lenses won't autofocus on the D40 and newer ones cost a LOT!!!! For now I'm okay with the kit lens though, but if I were more serious (more than just a casual shooter), I'd probably need/really want to add lenses to my arsenal.

I probably got a little off track in my response to you and as usual went into my own situation even though you will probably get a higher-end body that autofocuses within the body and takes the older lenses. From what I've read on here with others in a similar situation, most any camera body would be fine unless you have specific needs like super fast shutter or burst speeds. If I remember right the mid-level models like the D300, D200 and 40D you mention I think have an advantage over the entry-level dSLRs. Then you'd still have close to a grand to get a decent lens or two. Maybe your budget isn't that big afterall :lol::lmao:.

Money definitely will always b a constraint :grumpy:. What I am looking is for an advice on a camera and a zoom lens in 1750 usd

Dude, I dont think if I buy a Nikon D300 then it would leave me enough ro buy a lens different than 18-55. But I would like to buy a lens definitely that has Image Stabilization (VR, IS or OS). ED and Aspherical Glass elements would deifinitely b an add on. But I dont think that 18-55 would b good enough

I have a feeling some of the pros on here are gonna tell you to buy a low-priced new entry level or older mid level body and focus on the lenses (pun intended), and I wouldn't be able to argue with them since it doesn't sound like you necessarily need the extra features of the higher end bodies and you can get most of the same nice glass for most of the cheaper bodies.

U r probably right but compare a shooting burst of 2.5 or 3 fps with 6 fps. A 3 in 1MP LCD screen, 51 point AF system with live view and ofcourse better colors & tones than any entry level dslr. I am already drooling!!:popcorn:

Hey guys,

I have been using a 5M Nikon point and shoot compact digicam till now. I am planning to upgrade to an SLR really soon.

M a first time slr buyer and have a budget of around 1750 USD. I have read a lot on various Cameras as offered by Canon, Nikon and Sony and their lenses. As in I am aware of all the technical stuff and terms like VR, OS, HSM, SWM, APO, ED, DX etc etc. I have an idea about the types of lenses too and their capabilities.
Are you looking for a 35mm SLR or digital SLR? From the sounds of it, you're looking for digital.

Personally, I'd say get a mid-level SLR with several lenses. Probably a D80.

If a 35mm, why not go with the Nikon F100?

Looking for a dslr only. I was thinking on the lines that if I buy a Prosumer dslr right now, it will save me a lot of money in future because I wont have to change the body. Lens collection is anyways built over some years. What say guys?:sexywink:

U r probably right but compare a shooting burst of 2.5 or 3 fps with 6 fps. A 3 in 1MP LCD screen, 51 point AF system with live view and ofcourse better colors & tones than any entry level dslr. I am already drooling!!:popcorn:

Typical n00b that won't listen to advice. You don't even need 6fps, a 3 in 1mp LCD screen (whatever that is), 51 point AF system WITH live view and ofcourse better colors & tones (which is really just 95% marketing BS, 5% technology because ANY DSLR can make a good photo) for what you shoot. You DO NOT need a multiple-thousand dollar camera to shoot "architecture, landscape, wildlife & some closeups". You NEED different lenses for all that.

:er:

Last edited:
"a 3 in 1mp LCD screen (whatever that is)"

A three inch high resolution LCD - usually located on the backs of some cameras - can be used for focusing and framing in addition to or in place of, the usual view finders (that little window you put your eye up to and look through :D).

Well it seems that you are serious about photography, you are wanting to move up, done some research and are willing to make a reasonable investment. You will always pay a premium for the newest model, which sometimes don't offer significant improvements over a slightly older model. Also, if you skimp at all now you may just end up wanting to upgrade later. I'll admit now that I am canon biased, so that out of the way, A new refurbished 30D at Adorama for $639, and a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, which is a really top notch professional lens for $960, plus a memory card, camera bag, etc. Thats your budget. Now tamron makes a nice 17-50 f/2.8, which is only $400ish, and now you have an extra $600 to put towards a fast prime maybe a 85mm 1.8? or a 70-200 f/4, or most of a f4 IS or non IS f/2.8. or a canon 100mm macro?

If I were in your position, I would go for a 30D and a Tamron 17-50. Then shoot for a while and figure out where the rest of the money is best spent. Check out the reviews of the Tamron 17-50, and the canon 17-55 at www.thedigitalpicture.com

-Ryan

Well atleast some one understands the feelings of a noob here :D

Looking for a dslr only. I was thinking on the lines that if I buy a Prosumer dslr right now, it will save me a lot of money in future because I wont have to change the body. Lens collection is anyways built over some years. What say guys?:sexywink:
From the sounds of it your lens collection is adequate or more than adequate for your job so in that case, invest in the camera body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back