Advice needed for buying SLR.......please help!!

From the sounds of it your lens collection is adequate or more than adequate for your job so in that case, invest in the camera body.

Dude i am yet 2 buy a lens.........let alone a collection of lenses:p

Canon Rebel XSi ($740)
Canon EF 70-200 F/4 IS USM ($1,025)
Total: $1,765

-or-

Canon Rebel XSi ($740)
Canon EF 70-200 F/4 USM ($560)
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM ($650)
Total: $1,950

United States Dollars

"a 3 in 1mp LCD screen (whatever that is)"

A three inch high resolution LCD - usually located on the backs of some cameras - can be used for focusing and framing in addition to or in place of, the usual view finders (that little window you put your eye up to and look through :D).

One reason why I changed to P&S to SLR is because I didnt want a cheap LCD because a LCD cannot compare to a optical system (SLR camera) no matter how high resolution the LCD is...

Nice advice dude..........let those suggestions pouring in. :thumbup:

In about 1750 USD, I can either get a Nikon d300 with 18-55 VR or I can get a Canon Xsi with 17-85 IS and 70-300 IS. What 2 do?

As a first timer should I concentrate more on lenses or on the camera body?

My own personal choice will be if I have $1750 to spent for Camera and lens:

Tamron SP AF 17 - 50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF) Standard Zoom Lens for Canon EOS $420.00

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Autofocus Telephoto Zoom Lens with Case & Hood $560.00 after rebate

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard AutoFocus Lens $85.00

Vivitar 285HV Non-Dedicated Shoe Mount Flash with a Maximum Guide Number of 140 @ ISO 100 $90.00

Canon Digital Rebel XTi SLR Camera Body Kit, 10.1 Megapixels, U.S.A. Warranty - Black Finish $590.00

~$1745

You also need to get a memory card. And a tripod later.

Again, the above prices are just for reference. You may be able to get them cheaper if you search around or get it used. Just need to make sure you get it from a store or online store with good reputation.

In about 1750 USD, I can either get a Nikon d300 with 18-55 VR or I can get a Canon Xsi with 17-85 IS and 70-300 IS. What 2 do?

As a first timer should I concentrate more on lenses or on the camera body?

The lenses are really the key. Go to a real brick and mortar camera store if you can, and just ask them if you can play around with the different cameras, and lenses.

The d300, is world above the Xsi and an 18-55 while not terrible, will not do it justice.

The canon setup you listed, sounds like a pretty good start, the 17-85 a nice upgrade from the the 18-55 kit, but it really wont touch the higher end glass. Although it may be plenty good for what you want to shoot, and you can certainly take some fantastic photos with that setup.
Here are two link to reviews of that lens.
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_17-85_4-5p6_is_usm_c16/
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-85mm-f-4-5.6-is-usm-lens-review.aspx

There is also reviews of the 70-300 is, and the 70-200 f4 mentioned earlier, you can find them from the second link.

-Ryan

My own personal choice will be if I have $1750 to spent for Camera and lens:

Tamron SP AF 17 - 50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF) Standard Zoom Lens for Canon EOS $420.00

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Autofocus Telephoto Zoom Lens with Case & Hood $560.00 after rebate

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard AutoFocus Lens $85.00

Vivitar 285HV Non-Dedicated Shoe Mount Flash with a Maximum Guide Number of 140 @ ISO 100 $90.00

Canon Digital Rebel XTi SLR Camera Body Kit, 10.1 Megapixels, U.S.A. Warranty - Black Finish $590.00

~$1745

You also need to get a memory card. And a tripod later.

Again, the above prices are just for reference. You may be able to get them cheaper if you search around or get it used. Just need to make sure you get it from a store or online store with good reputation.

The above is a very good recommendation. No IS, but you can do a lot with a fairly cheap tripod. I would go for the higher quality glass over IS, for the same money. You can also find a shining review of that Tamron, in that second link I posted as well.

· Tamron SP AF 17 - 50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF) Standard Zoom Lens for Canon EOS $405
· Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Autofocus Telephoto Zoom Lens with Case & Hood $560
These look like excellent suggestions to me. With the 17-50 f/2.8, is the 50 f/1.8 really necessary?

I know that f/1.8 is 1.3 stops (2.5 times) faster than f/2.8. Is that a big enough difference to be worth buying the 50mm prime?

Last edited:
These look like excellent suggestions to me. With the 17-50 f/2.8, is the 50 f/1.8 really necessary?

I know that f/1.8 is 2.4 stops (5.4 times) faster than f/2.8. Is that a big enough difference to be worth buying the 50mm prime?

Well, it all comes down to the cost of the 50mm f1.8. Since it is so cheap, it really worth to have one. And sometimes, you just need the extra few stops.

How can a person get a EF 50mm F/1.8 lens? stop going out for dinner for few times. :lol: And I do not think I can do that with the EF 50mm F/1.4. ;)

Dude i am yet 2 buy a lens.........let alone a collection of lenses:p
Oh my mistake. I read it wrong. Thought you said you already have a ton of lenses.

In that case, definitely get a D80 or D200. I'd say the D80. Spend the rest on lenses.

Multiple lenses + decent camera body > One lens + excellent camera body

I know that f/1.8 is 1.3 stops (2.5 times) faster than f/2.8. Is that a big enough difference to be worth buying the 50mm prime?

Even though the 50 1.8 is very cheap , it does have very good IQ, and that extra light can really make a difference.

Get the D300. The Kit lens is good enough to get you by while you learn the camera.

There Will be a learning curve!

If you just want more reach in addition to the kit lens, get a Nikon 70-210mm f/4.5-5.6 for between $50 to $100. It's plenty sharp and with the higher ISO you will be able to shoot at you can print to 11x14 from most light conditions easily.

The D300 is enough better a camera than the rest to break from tradition to get the body first.

Just be aware that after this you won't want low to midrange glass. ;)

One reason why I changed to P&S to SLR is because I didnt want a cheap LCD because a LCD cannot compare to a optical system (SLR camera) no matter how high resolution the LCD is...

Yup, although the EVF on some DSLRs are pretty stinking bad and an LCD might be better in those cases. :D Well... I said "might be". ;) I've used P&S cameras that had a better EVF than some DSLRs BTW.

Anyway, my suggestion (to the OP) is to get a grey market, refurbished, or used D300 and then get the best lens you can. I think also Olympus might be a consideration. I hear allot of people mentioning them and there seems to be a few recent models that just became replaced with newer versions - and so there are deals to be had in the less than $500 range.

Like everyone is saying though: beyond the few things you need a body to do (like fast and efficient tracking, having a sweet EVF, having plenty of ergonomic/programmable knobs and buttons, NOT being a CCD type, and etc.) the glass is the most important thing. I know that's less specific than you're looking for. What kind of luck have you had using google to find lens reviews? Anything good, or is it mostly manufacturer release statement kinda stuff?

Most reactions

Back