Advice needed

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Deli, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Deli

Deli TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a Nikon D40 and I've been wanting to upgrade. I saw an ad on Craigslist for a Nikon D50 with 18-15mm lens that's in good condition. The lowest price that the seller will go is $300. So my question is should I go for it or should I just wait and save some money and buy a D80? Is there a big difference between the D40 and the D50?

Thanks-Deli

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    IMO, yes, there is a big difference between a D40 and a D50.

3. Deli

Deli TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I see, I guess I'm going to have to do some research on this. I was hoping I would get some fast advice. Oh well but thanks again KMH :)

Thanks-Deli

4. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't get D50. I had it for a while and as GREAT as the camera is, in terms of quality there isn't much, if at all, difference in quality. In terms of control, I do prefer D50 but if you'll be moving up soon, especially to manual operations, then go with at least D70.
    Good Luck

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    A D50 for $300 is a ripoff! You can buy a newer, 10 megapixels refurbished D40 or D40x for $269 if you look around, like at Newegg, or some other large electronics dealers, and that will have a 90 day Nikon warranty, while the craigslist camera will have ZERO warranty.

The D50 has a very small, "squinty" viewfinder,and is a design that is going on five years old now. The D50 was fine in its day, but we're in a period of transition to newer models,so the D50 has just grown yet another generation older,and the value of $300 for a D50 is just,well, unrealistic now.