Advice on a new camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by blinded, Jun 5, 2004.

1. blinded

blinded TPF Noob!

Heyja

My Minolta body died after 18 years, so it is time for something new. I only have a few Minolta lenses, just the basic primes, so I was thinking just buying another Minolta af body.
    I also thought that it would be smart for me to just ditch them and get a Nikon system. I was thinking something like an F80 and a few lenses for around $600? I see that there are a few nice used setups on ebay for around this price. In the future I wanna get a DSLR, so it would make sense to get Nikon equipment.

My main needs are obviously 35mm film, and it must be able to change ASA settings. I've used a few lower end cameras that are DX coding only, and since I use my own canisters, it doesn't work. My price range is around $500-$600 canadian, so I'm probably looking used.

any input on the f80 or anything in the price range?
    There are a few f90 (I think thats what they were) used bodies at the shop for around $600. I'd more than likely want to purchase on ebay to save alot of money.

thanks.

2. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Minolta will be coming out with a DSLR later this year. It will have image stabilization built in which eliminates the need for expensive lenses with that feature.

3. blinded

blinded TPF Noob!

After trying both the F80 and the Elan7n, I've decided on the Canon. The F80 is a bit smaller, but I like the feel of it more than the Canon. The only reason I won't go for the Nikon is that the Canon is a bit cheaper, and there is a way bigger selection of glass for cheaper than Nikon. Who knows, I may change my mind in the last second though.

4. havoc

havoc Jedi something or other

Unless your doing alot of sports/action photos i would go with the Nikon. Canon AF, and fps are the fastest, but the N80/F80 has a built in spot meter, which could be very valuable. Plus with a Nikon you can buy the new Nikon lenses, or if you find a good deal on an old nikon manual lens you can still use it because the body is backwards compatible.