advice on an SLR

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Seldon, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Seldon

Seldon TPF Noob!

Hello All,
    I need help finding a 35mm SLR (new or used) based on the following
    criterion:

Must have features:

1. ability to manually control the aperture, focus, and shutter speed.
    2. film reverse for making double exposures.
    3. I'd like to be able to use it with my telescope, so it has to have a
    shutter that can stay open indefinatley and a mirror that can be
    locked up.

Features that would be nice:

-in camera light meter
    -flash sync @ 1/250 sec

This will be the first SLR I've ever owned and I'll be doing a lot of learning with it, so the more manual it is, the better. Not that I have a problem with automation, it's just that I don't want to get confused by all of the features most AE cameras offer.

Thanks a bunch and have a good one,
    A.

2. kemplefan

kemplefan TPF Noob!

i have a canon elan 2 wiht some lenses i dont know if taht meets your cryterier but i dont want much

3. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I use a Pentax K1000. It's fully manual and is built like a tank. They're pretty cheap, too. It should be able to do all of the things you want.

4. Dave_D

Dave_D TPF Noob!

5. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

I don't think many cameras offer "film reversal" per se - they tend to have a switch overriding the wind-on for a double-exposure. I presume that's what you mean.

The K1000 does not have mirror lock up or double exposure capability. It's a great camera, but more for those who want a simple reliable SLR like the Nikon FM2n or the Canon AE-1. These cameras do exactly what it says on the tin as it were.

A Nikon F3, F4, F5, F6 would do the job perfectly, choose the model according to your budget. The Canon equivilents would also do the same. IMO Nikon are slightly more durable in terms of astro-photography as the mounts seem to be more robust and if you're hanging a body off a dodgy telescope mount in the middle of a field at night, durable is essential!

Rob

6. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

With the Pentaxes, you can fudge a double exposure by holding the film-side winder spool, depressing the under-body clutch button and winding on at the same time.... it's awkward, but a work around. Your film counter will then be incorrect.

Rob

7. Seldon

Seldon TPF Noob!

Thanks for all the great info guys. Rob, what are the Canon equivilants? Like the EOS's?

8. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

EOS 1, 3, 5, 7 I would guess.

Rob

9. Seldon

Seldon TPF Noob!

I read on an astrophotography website once that if you didn't lock the mirror before opening the shutter, the vibration would ruin the picture. Is this true, or was he overstating things?

10. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

IMO overstating things slightly. I use a Nikon F3HP with motordrive attached to a Meade ETX125AT on the biggest tripod you've ever seen. If the exposure is longer than a couple of seconds, then the initial vibration lasting maybe 1/100th of a second will have absolutely no impact on the shot.

IMO you're far more likely to ruin the shot by walking around the telescope during the exposure or having a train go past!

Rob

11. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yes... It can depending on the camera and the amount of vibration introduced and how long the exposure. Some cameras have an option that would lock the mirror up, wait a bit, and then open the shutter. As already suggested, the Elan II is a great inexpensive camera that should fit the bill. If you can afford more, the eos 1v is full of options that might be perfect for your type of work.

12. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

FWIW I don't actually know which lever on my F3 is mirror lock up and which is multiple exposure, I never use them!

Rob
    p.s. Ok, that didn't actually help... but you know what I mean!