Advice on B-Day Present

oldstonebuddha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings,

Back in college, I really got in to photography, took some classes, bought a Cannon Rebel SLR, and fancied myself a photographer. I have discovered to my dismay that my wife, with no training, is a much better photographer than I will ever be. She isn't very technical minded, but she has an intuitive eye that I will never match.

Anywho, I would like to get her a large format camera (or at least a nice lens for the Cannon) she can use for her black and whites, but have no idea where to begin. The old 35mm SLR still takes pretty good pictures, but she would dig something a bit more professional. We do not possess our own darkroom, so I'm not sure if we should break from 35mm or not. (It's pricy to have a larger format developed, isn't it?)

What would you learned folks recommend?

Thank you,
oldstonebuddha

Welcome to the forum

I don't know for sure but I would think that sending out 'large format' film to be developed would be expensive. 'Medium format' would be a much better choice...it's more common and the quality is still head a shoulders above 35mm.
Although, cameras, lenses, film & developing will still be much more expensive than 35mm.

Sticking with 35mm would still be a good option. You could stretch your money and the quality is good enough to make fairly large prints, if that is your/her goal.

There are lot's of lenses available for the Canon EOS cameras...A nice lens or two might make a good gift. There are also lots of different cameras that will take those lenses. A new Canon EOS Rebel will be more modern, with new features. A Canon EOS ELAN would be a step up...with more pro features. There are Pro level cameras that are made like tanks and sealed against the weather...that may be too much for now though.

With all the darkroom talk, it does not seem like digital is the way you want to go...but that's an option. There are digital SLR cameras that will accept the same lenses as your film camera. Digital has many advantages over film...but film also has many advantages over digital. But at least the option is there.

Thanks Big Mike,

I'll look into lenses for the old 35mm. It still does take nice pictures...

Peace

oldstonebuddha

I'd agree with the idea of getting lenses, as long as you're happy with the current camera. I've got an EOS5 that I'm really happy with at the moment, although at some point in the future I expect I'll get a digital SLR. I really like my Canon now, and buying lenses for that is a good investment as if I buy a Canon digital I'll still be able to use them.

Graham

Most reactions

New Topics

Back