advice on buying a used camera

tofulover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys.

I'm thinking of purchasing a photography set from a guy online.
The package includes these items : Canon Rebel XTi
10.1 Megapixel APS-C Size CMOS Sensor
DIGIC II Image Processor
Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
Dust Delete Data Detection
Large 2.5-inch LCD Monitor with Wide Viewing Angle
9-Point AF System
- Canon EFs 18-55mm lens
- Canon EF 75-300mm USM II Ultrasonic lens ($200+tax value - see it)
- 2 UV Filters, great not only for UV correction, but also for protecting your lens
- 2 Tripods, one extremely portable and easy to take everywhere; the other a litter bigger, for when more stability is required.
- 1 Tamrac 5546 Adventure 6 Backpack (a $70 + tax value, check here)
- 1Gb Scandisk ULTRA II card

The cost is 750. Would you consider this to be a good deal? I am also going to inspect the items before buying. But I've no idea what to watch out for. Any tips? Thanks a bunch!

Well, you can find a brand new XTi on Amazon for $529 with the kit lens (18-55mm). The Canon 4-5.6 75-300 isn't exactly the greatest Canon lens ever made. I would save your money. You can pick up 1GB cards nowadays for under $20 if you shop around. How much do you really need a tripod, let alone two? And finally, that backpack (which you can get for $45 new on Amazon if you don't mind red on black) looks exactly big enough to carry what he's offering. Hope you don't want to expand your kit...

So I guess in the end, it's a good deal (by which I mean, he isn't OVERcharging you) for what he is offering, but is that really what you want?

Last edited:
please oh please do ur research on the site. If its ebay use paypal.

Is all the gear used? How used? Does it have minor cosmetic scratches, or some real wear and tear like metal exposed in parts or deep scratches? How many articulations of the shutter? What condition are the lenses in?

Unless this is all mint, its not the worlds greatest deal but hes not really ripping you off either.

In general used glass is a better buy than a used body, simply because most decent lenses are made to last forever, and most bodies are made to last a length of time until you decide to upgrade. So you might get a lot less out of the body than the lenses.

if its used thats to much to pay.

I say that because i bought the same camera with the same two lenses and a 4 gb san disk ultra II for $784 NEW, full warranty well know seller (Ritz camera)

Pass on that deal unless you REALLLLLLY like the backpack.

good luck
jerry

Well, you can find a brand new XTi on Amazon for $529 with the kit lens (18-55mm). The Canon 4-5.6 75-300 isn't exactly the greatest Canon lens ever made. I would save your money. You can pick up 1GB cards nowadays for under $20 if you shop around. How much do you really need a tripod, let alone two? And finally, that backpack (which you can get for $45 new on Amazon if you don't mind red on black) looks exactly big enough to carry what he's offering. Hope you don't want to expand your kit...

So I guess in the end, it's a good deal (by which I mean, he isn't OVERcharging you) for what he is offering, but is that really what you want?

Thanks Brileyphoto! I knew the deal sounded a bit too good to be true..or good..haha Thanks for your input; it helped me a great deal! I hadn't even though about what would happen if I expand my kit. :thumbup:

Thanks Gumball15. It actually wasn't on ebay; just a meet-up with the guy. =X

Is all the gear used? How used? Does it have minor cosmetic scratches, or some real wear and tear like metal exposed in parts or deep scratches? How many articulations of the shutter? What condition are the lenses in?

Unless this is all mint, its not the worlds greatest deal but hes not really ripping you off either.

In general used glass is a better buy than a used body, simply because most decent lenses are made to last forever, and most bodies are made to last a length of time until you decide to upgrade. So you might get a lot less out of the body than the lenses.

I haven't checked out the gear yet; I was going to check them when I see the stuff but thanks for letting me know what I should look out for. Everything was lightly used. You're right (as well as the others), I should get exactly what I need and not be blinded by things I don't need.

if its used thats to much to pay.

I say that because i bought the same camera with the same two lenses and a 4 gb san disk ultra II for $784 NEW, full warranty well know seller (Ritz camera)

Pass on that deal unless you REALLLLLLY like the backpack.

good luck
jerry

That backpack looks so awesome though!! :lol: haha Thanks to everyone who helped out. I'm passing on the deal and doing a lot more research. Merci beaucoup! :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back