advice on changing to digital

pippa56

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there, I hope you can help me.

I have used my old Canon Eos 100SLR for many years and love it. However - I now want to go digital. Is it possible or sensible to get a digital ‘back’ for my EOS lenses, or should I change over completely? I have been experimenting with my husbands little Olympus C2040 camera which is no use for my purposes - in particular it has a huge delay between pressing the shutter and the camera freezing the image. Is this a problem with all digital cameras or is it possible now to get a digital which fires the shutter the instant you press the button? My photography interests are mainly photographing wildlife in low light and also working gundogs which involves a lot of action shots.

Any advice as to the kind of equipment I need would be much appreciated

Pippa

As far as I know, there are no digital backs for Canon slrs. You would need to buy a DSLR, and since you are already invested in Canon glass I assume, it makes sense to stay with Canon. You have several choices in the Eos DSLR lineup, and you will have to decided what features and resolution you need for the type of photography you want to do, and your price range.

www.dpreview.com is a great resource for information on digital cameras, and you can compare all the eos DSLRs side by side to check out features. Feel free to ask us any questions that come to mind.

"I have been experimenting with my husbands little Olympus C2040 camera which is no use for my purposes - in particular it has a huge delay between pressing the shutter and the camera freezing the image."

The Canon and Nikon DSLR's are almost instant. It's difficult for me to tell the difference regarding this issue between my Nikon F3HP and my D70. I really can only speak for Nikon so if you're planning on using your older Canon lenses, I would consult a pro regarding the ability to use your old glass with a Canon DSLR.

By the way, welcome to the forum! Please show us some of your work!

Most reactions

Back