Advice on equipment needs

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by CraftyCat, Sep 25, 2017.

1. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I believe you will need to contact an Administrator.

2. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Actually, Macro is specifically a lens that produces an exactly life-size image on the sensor. It has nothing to do with focus range. Many useful, close-focus lenses are not macro.

3. Tomasko

Tomasko No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Except it being a kind of advertising, there's one more problem - giving advices outside the forum helps only that particular person, not the others. If we keep it here, every visitor can benefit from it :)

4. TonyBallas

TonyBallas TPF Noob!

Thanks for the clarification, because that is what I was getting at was to look at lenses by there shortest focusing distance. Unfortunately, Macro is used as a term that's not totally true to it's meaning as far as getting in close to a subject. True macro just means it produces an image to the sensor that is 1:1, or say with a macro 50mm lens the image is the size and perspective as you'd see with your naked eye. Explain the part about how that figures to close-up photography is a little more involved and you can probably explain it better than I.

I really want to get back to take some classes or get off my tush to do a good bit more study so I could explain it more in depth. Close-up photography is the term I probably should used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Tomasko

Tomasko No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    @TonyBallas , macro doesn't mean the image size and perspective are what you'd see with your naked eye. It means that the lens can translate 1'' from real life to at least 1'' on the sensor under certain circumstances (when you focus the closest you can). Otherwise you're not shooting macro.

6. rosh4u

rosh4u TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi,
    Can you please elaborate your question a bit including your budget and your experience?
    If you are a beginner I would suggest you get Nikon D3300 and if looking for mid-level then go for Nikon D7200.

7. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I agree, lighting is much more important for product shots
    for "nature" shots - - a long lens ( Canon 500mm f/4 ) would be good