advice on first film slr...

nickh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there

are there any older weather resistant bodies? I notice only the top of the line canon/nikon models today are...

I want to purchase my first film slr and would like it to be durable to last me quite awhile but not break the bank like an eos 1v would...

I don't mind buying used and am not limited to any one brand as I have no lenses... I basically want the flexiblity/manual functions of the slr together with a decent lense to take sharp pictures...

are there any websites that offer reviews of film slrs? I've only seen photo.net but most sites seem to only review digital now...

any recommendations?

Any of the older, all mechanical SLRs are pretty much weather proof; no electricital parts ('cept maybe the meter) to worry about getting wet. Also they were built in a time when quality was a higher priority than profits. Most of the older major brand name lenses are very nice glass (at least the fixed focal length models). I don't know when the Zeiss Planar lens design came out, but it was pre 1950, and it's still considered standard issue on Hasselblads, and that's good enough for me. You will find many of the older, all mechanical models to be very cheap these days.

hey, thanks

I see alot of old canon ae-1 and minolta x-700s at the camera shop here, is there any you recommend?

how do these compare to newer lenses/bodies in terms of picture quality?

I used to have a Canon AT-1 (manual version of the AE-1) and had good luck with it. Depending on your budget, Canon's old pro camera, the F1 is a very sturdy, solid camera. You can usually find good used ones on Ebay for about $300. And yes, there are good lenses for these cameras.

Don't forget the Contax S2 series and possibly the Olympus Ti and Pentax LX cameras. These originate from 1990's and are fully manual and battery independent (sans meter). The S2 series is moulded from titanium and has double ring-seals and weathertight fittings and seals. It is by no means waterproof but handles extremities very well (-10C for me). There are plenty of Contax S2's around, however these come with a spot-meter, which is not easy for a beginner to use. The S2b is a better option, and one or two can be found for sale however these cameras hold their value very well. The lenses are Carl Zeiss. Need I say more?

Don't overlook the Pentax LX and the Olymptus 4Ti also. Parts and accessories for the Pentax LX are harder to find, however the Olympus 4TI has a cult following, a bit like the Contax S2 cameras.

Try www.photographyreview.com and type in the camera of your choice.

Best of luck.

Jamie R said:
Don't overlook the Pentax LX and the Olymptus 4Ti also. Parts and accessories for the Pentax LX are harder to find, however the Olympus 4TI has a cult following, a bit like the Contax S2 cameras.

I was looking at Pentax LX bodies. I think there's a little cult status there too; they still fetch pretty good money compared to price declines in similar models.

I just bought a Nikon FM2n, and I'm quite taken with the 1/250th flash sync, and the fact that it's still completely functional when the battery dies (only the meter stops).

Most reactions

Back