Advice on HDR and wide angle

kevholt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi
I just started to see and want to get into HDR and love how it looks.
I have a Nikon D60 but it does not have the bracket option on it and am thinking of getting a D90
Also want to get a lens that is wide angle.
Can anyone give me any advice on what to get?? (cam and lens)

I am a traveler so I don't want to spend to much money because I travel in lets say the less developed countries and am always moving around by train and bus ect and it is not nice to thousands of £ or $!! of stuff in my backpack (things go missing!!)
but on the other hand I don't want crap cam!
I take pics of people, animals, landscape, and also night shots

So can you help me make my mind up on what to get

I'd be sad if my D90 went missing, or the D60 for that matter. On the D60, couldn't you just put it in manual with the correct exposure and then dial through three shutter speeds? Is there exposure compensation that you could dial through?

On the wide angle front, I hear good things about the tokina 11-16mm that is designed for crop cameras only (D60 and D90 are both crop cameras). I have been looking for something similar for a FF sensor.

have auto bracket is nice, but is not necessary.

Drongo.....now thats a f**king photo to be happy with.....like it a lot.

Thats what I want to do, some cool pics like that. Can i see some more?

would the 11-16 be a lense for everyday use like people, buildings, mountains, I travel in asia 6 months every year dont like to have to much in my backpack
what is it like for night shots. (not hdr)

I was just looking at a site and see the Tokina 16.5-135mm, sounds more usefull for me with more zoom but would it be wide angle as much as the 11-16.
sorry for asking maybe stupid questions to you, but I dont know much about the technical side of things!!

Drongo.....now thats a f**king photo to be happy with.....like it a lot.

Thats what I want to do, some cool pics like that. Can i see some more?

would the 11-16 be a lense for everyday use like people, buildings, mountains, I travel in asia 6 months every year dont like to have to much in my backpack
what is it like for night shots. (not hdr)

Thank you, sir. I'm working on a whole series of HDR night shots for a gallery that I will share at some point.

The 11-16mm is a great lens all the way around. I bought it for video use after not being able to get wide enough with my 7D in an ambulance. At 2.8, I wish it was a little faster. But then again I always wish my lenses were a little faster, so there you go.

Having said that, I wouldn't use it as my primary lens for people. Any lens that wide distorts human features to some degree, so you want to be careful with your framing. That 16.5-135 you're talking about wouldn't work for me because of the slower 3.5-5.6 variable aperture. I am, however, seriously considering the 16-50mm 2.8 to round out my collection. That would give you faster glass and a decent zoom range to play around with. See if you can find one in a store by you and try it out.

I have a 24-105 f/4 and I'm always thinking of selling it. I wish I had gone with more primes or short-ranged, faster zooms. Then again, that would've cost me a lot more money.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice......cant wait to see more of ur pics....will keep my eyes open for ur work :)

Haha how you know I want to see asian girls lol

i'm using a 7D canon with a tamron 10-24mm ultra wide

and heres some photos of the combo in HDR

1e97732b.jpg

4e76e23c.jpg

i didnt bother taking out alot of the noise in the photos (because they where just for fun and not for actual use) but you get the idea

i personally love the combo of HDR with a wide angle

and its my first post! yay! :D

-----------------

oh and i gotta warn you, HDR + high ISO = headache

i'm using a 7D canon with a tamron 10-24mm ultra wide

and heres some photos of the combo in HDR

1e97732b.jpg

4e76e23c.jpg

i didnt bother taking out alot of the noise in the photos (because they where just for fun and not for actual use) but you get the idea

i personally love the combo of HDR with a wide angle

and its my first post! yay! :D

-----------------

oh and i gotta warn you, HDR + high ISO = headache

These look like they have a bit of distortion to the image. Anyone else see this or is it just me? I notice it more on the tank.

I would advise a Tokina 11-16 also. I have not used it but have had the
16-50 and the 12-24 and both were very good lenses. Very sturdy too.

As for body, if possible, get a 5D markII. If you are on a budget, get a T1i. I am not sure what the Nikon equivelent would be ( I think d5000 on the cheap end ) maybe a Nikon user could advise on that.

Most reactions

Back