Advice on lenses

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know ive been talking about getting a dslr for years, but im almost ready to invest in one. With Canon's 3 level rebate program I need to get 2 more canon items on thier rebate list. So I was wondering what you all thought of these 2 lenses, and if you know of anywhere cheaper to get the 3 items that is trust worthy.

First item is the Canon 350d XT - $789.95 - $225 rebate *$75 x 3*
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=DpLhrG26gV!-940916493?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=371189&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Im not sure about getting the one with the kit lens that is somewhat wide angle. I may just pick that lens up off of ebay or something for cheap, or just get the camera with it included. I know its a bad lens but its better than nothing. I plan to get the Sigma 15-30mm wide angle but that wont be for a year or so.

First lens is the Canon 85mm F1.8 - $349.95 - $45 rebate *$15 x 3*
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=DXZR7LFWtQ!-10455877?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=12182&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

And the 2nd lens is the Canon 75-300mm F4-4.5 - $159.95 - $15 *$5 * 3*
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=DpMLF5zrv9!-1659250167?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=169267&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

This one I know isnt that great of a lens, but I plan to buy the battery grip, flash, couple 1gb memory cards, etc so I dont want to spend to much money at once.

I also plan to get the Canon 50mm F1.8 but its not on the rebate list so its not high priority atm. The Canon 50mm F1.4 is on the list but its really expensive and ive heard of people complain that it has a distortion to it. And its alot more expensive for not much more light going through. Im not sure if that 0.4mm is half a stop more light or what.

I also wont get to play with these new toys until February or March because if I buy these, they will be shipped to the states where it will wait for me until I move. So hopefully B&H or whom ever I buy it through wont have a problem with a different billing/shipping addresses. And hopefully the rebates wont have a problem with that to.

Ill probably end up getting them from B&H since I know they are trust worthy. I was also looking at Willoughby's but they are more expensive, and WolfCamera but I dont know how reputible these places are.

Go with B&H I would say as they are trustworthy and you can always get a replacement if there's something wrong.

As for the lenses, I would go straight for the standard lens and leave all the others until later. You sound like you've thought this through already, but there really isn't much you can't do with the standard lens and your new toy will occupy you for a good while until you saved up for some feature lenses.

Rob

If this year's rebate program is like the previous ones....you can buy the items separately (within a time frame) and still get the discount. Actually, I've heard it takes them months to send you the discount anyways.

I've got the 18-55 kit lens. It's not as bad as people seem to think...and it's only an extra $100, I think, with the camera. That's a great deal for a wide lens.

I don't know if I've heard anyone say anything bad about the 50mm F1.4 It's supposed to be somewhat better than the 50 F1.8 but is also three or four times more expensive.

An alternative to the kit lens, is the EF-S 18-85 IS. This would be a great walk-around lens for that camera.

I would suggest a 75-300, it's a good telephoto range. The cheaper lenses at that length are OK lenses but not great. They can be soft at 300mm and are quite slow. The IS version is supposed to be pretty good though.

You could also look at www.cameracanada.com/ and hopefully avoid duty or other border crossing charges. I can't vouch for them since I've never ordered from there...but it looks pretty good. Also, Henry's is a fairly big retailer in Ontario. McBain Camera, here in Edmonton, will price match (other in-store prices) and has free shipping in Canada over a certain price. www.mcbaincamera.com/index.html

I'd get the 85 and the 50.
b&h would be my preferred store as well.

The 50 f1.4 is a good lens the only one you need worry about it the 50 f1.0 which is very expensive and is not made any more. It was not a good lens, thats why I bought it.

I should have mentioned that my main use for this stuff is doing weddings. 2ndary might be portraits if I decide to get into that. It makes sense to offer that after doing weddings since you could have some baby pics to take after 9 months or something. Then for fun Id want to do nature/wildlife. Ill have to upgrade the telephoto lens for that one, but its not high priority since the lens wouldnt be used much in weddings and the nature/wildlife probably wont make me much money.

Big Mike said:
I don't know if I've heard anyone say anything bad about the 50mm F1.4 It's supposed to be somewhat better than the 50 F1.8 but is also three or four times more expensive.

Ive heard the 1.4 has a good amount of distortion?

Big Mike said:
You could also look at www.cameracanada.com/ and hopefully avoid duty or other border crossing charges. I can't vouch for them since I've never ordered from there...but it looks pretty good. Also, Henry's is a fairly big retailer in Ontario. McBain Camera, here in Edmonton, will price match (other in-store prices) and has free shipping in Canada over a certain price. www.mcbaincamera.com/index.html

Ill be moving to the states, so thats why I want to buy from a us store to get the american warrenty, and the american prices are usually a great deal cheaper than the Canadian stores. The xt will be like $550us after rebates and I think its $1200cdn up here.

DocFrankenstein said:
I thought rebates were only for US residents?

Hopefully Ill be a us resident in feb/march, and my fiancee is a citizen. :0) So my only concern would be a Canadian cc used on the receipt, and being sent in to canon by an american citizen, if they care or would just over look that.

Then I hope rebates work out for you. I don't know too many details about them, just that it would be really hard for me to get them in Toronto.

Good luck.

GerryDavid said:
Ive heard the 1.4 has a good amount of distortion?
I have one and I'm not sure of what you are talking about! :)
But if you want to get the 1.8 based on the price, go for it. :thumbup:

big_mike said:
An alternative to the kit lens, is the EF-S 18-85 IS. This would be a great walk-around lens for that camera.

I got this lens (EF-S 17-85 IS - love it!) with my 20D from B&H over the summer. the first body they sent me had a defective flash, i had a bad run in with a couple of rude customer service people at first, but they finally got me all squared away and sent a replacement, they were very professional 'cept those two yahoos working the phones. Save all packaging/reciepts until you are absolutely sure the camera/lens is working properly, be sure to read the return/replacement policy from whoever you end up buying from.

This lens and seeing other peoples work here on TPF made me realize how substandard my 75-300 was. I've had it for a few years and have had fun with it, but the quality is seriously lacking. my next lens purchase will be a prime or some L-glass. it may be a while! :D

Most reactions

Back