Advice on Macro Lens

MichelleSamson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi-
I am looking to get my niece a macro lens for her Canon Rebel T1i. Any suggestions?

Firstly if you want true macro (usually defined as at least lifesize on the sensor) avoid 'macro' zooms they only offer close up's rather than real macro with most only managing 1/4 life size at best. For many people shooting flowers and the like, close up is quite sufficient.

There are a range of different focal length primes used for Macro. Which is best depends on what sort of subject is being shot, the magnifications needed & of course the FOV wanted...
Longer focal lengths generally give more working distance (good for nervous insects) while shorter focal lengths tend to be cheaper & are easier to get higher magnifications with.
The usual compromise is a focal length of ~100mm. Anything much over this will be very expensive. Much shorter and working distance can be a challenge.
IMO autofocus has little to offer for macro work this will help considerably with your budget and also means an adapted lens may be an option.

I think you budget will rule out the most popular Canon macro lenses, but I think there are third party options within budget.

There are also a number of alternatives to a dedicated macro lens for shooting macro. Extension tubes (fitted between the body & the lens) being one of the most popular - models with electrical contacts being important for native EOS lenses to maintain aperture control.
The Raynox brand auxiliary lenses are also a good option (unlike extension tubes these work best on long lenses) the DCR150 is less powerful than the DCR250 & easier to get to use.

Both extension & auxiliaries can be used with macro lenses to get higher magnifications as well as with normal lenses, (either will loose infinity focus when fitted).

200 more and you can have the L version Dilemas.

My advice is to buy macro lenses USED. Why? It is THE category for buy, use for a week or a month, and then put away, only to sell back to a dealer three years later. Macro lenses of up to 20,30 years of age are often seen in dealer cases looking BRAND-NEW! Macro lenses are tools that many buy, then just never end up using!

As to length: Tamron 90mm AF-SP; Tokina ATX-PRO 100mm f/2.8. Both have nice bokeh, good lenses, I'v owned a Tamron 90 for 15 years or so. Tokina-prety imager. Canon EF 100MM Internal Focus f/2.8, owned it for half a decade, UGLY, sharp-sided diaphragm gives rough OOF highlights, but is inexpensive used. Sigma 150mm macro: beautiful imager, just beautiful. Sigma 105/2.8 macro: bitingly sharp lens, lens rendering color matches Canons quite well, looks yellow on a Nikon.

I really think a 90,100, or 150 or 180mm macro is the most useful. I had the 180 EX HSM 3.5 Sigma macro...really,realllllllly nice to be able to get true life-size 1:1 at 18 inches from the back of the camera!!!

Short macros like 60mm and 50mm...fine for 8x11 inch documents or paintings, and good for plants, and scenes outdoors, but not long enough for small objects.

Most reactions

Back