Advice on making a time lapse of a 200hr long project

mcurcio1989

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm picking up a kit plane at the end of the week. I'm going to be building it in my garage over the next couple of months and I want to set up a camera and take the proper footage so that when I am done with the project I can have a cool time lapse video a minute or two long showing the airplane starting out as a bunch of parts and then coming together. I am a photography noob no doubt. I have a go pro and I can do some okay editing if I have to.

I want to make sure that I get the proper footage so when it is all said and done I can have the videos that I want. I plane on wearing a go pro and setting up a camera in the corner. To take the photos for the time lapse. What I am thinking is I will take some videos at the beginning showing all of the parts and the garage set up as well as me down in Florida picking it up with shots driving it back. Then once building is underway I will take go pro footage of the whole thing via a mount on my head. This will be stored and cataloged on a hard drive every night. I think it will be cool to have this on file for reference sake. I can have a 3rd person take 3rd person video of the more entertaining assembly points. As far as the footage for the time lapse goes the more I think about it I think that I should just take a photo every time a piece is added to frame / fuselage and then compile them all at the end to give the time laps feel.

This sounds easy but I know there is more that goes into it. I'm going to have to be very careful to block of windows and use only the lighting in the garage to ensure it isn't flickering all the time. I am sure there are other things that I am not thinking about like camera settings etc. Please give me any advice or thoughts you have. I read around on the web some but this is such a specific kind of thing I figure some help from experts would be great. I need to buy a camera that will work for this and I'm pinching pennies because airplanes aren't cheap so any recommendations there will be greatly appreciated.

I'm picking up a kit plane at the end of the week. I'm going to be building it in my garage over the next couple of months and I want to set up a camera and take the proper footage so that when I am done with the project I can have a cool time lapse video a minute or two long showing the airplane starting out as a bunch of parts and then coming together. I am a photography noob no doubt. I have a go pro and I can do some okay editing if I have to.

I want to make sure that I get the proper footage so when it is all said and done I can have the videos that I want. I plane on wearing a go pro and setting up a camera in the corner. To take the photos for the time lapse. What I am thinking is I will take some videos at the beginning showing all of the parts and the garage set up as well as me down in Florida picking it up with shots driving it back. Then once building is underway I will take go pro footage of the whole thing via a mount on my head. This will be stored and cataloged on a hard drive every night. I think it will be cool to have this on file for reference sake. I can have a 3rd person take 3rd person video of the more entertaining assembly points. As far as the footage for the time lapse goes the more I think about it I think that I should just take a photo every time a piece is added to frame / fuselage and then compile them all at the end to give the time laps feel.

This sounds easy but I know there is more that goes into it. I'm going to have to be very careful to block of windows and use only the lighting in the garage to ensure it isn't flickering all the time. I am sure there are other things that I am not thinking about like camera settings etc. Please give me any advice or thoughts you have. I read around on the web some but this is such a specific kind of thing I figure some help from experts would be great. I need to buy a camera that will work for this and I'm pinching pennies because airplanes aren't cheap so any recommendations there will be greatly appreciated.

I am asuming that you will be doing this for the most part inside. As you said, you will block out the windows for light. This means you have a fairly controlled environment as far as lighting goes.
If you were to use a DSLR, you would set it in apeture priority, and squeeze it pretty tight, so you can drag the shutter speed. Remember to take the white balance off automatic.

However, if your money is tight, and you already have a Go Pro, you may aswell use that...? I don't know much about the Go Pro, but I bet if you google GoPro Time-lapse tutorial, it will give you a lot of good guides.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back