Advice on new camera please!!

axom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ive been lurking around these forums for a little while now and finally decided to sign up. Im very close to my first real digital camera purchase and was just looking for a little insight. I used to shoot with a 35mm SLR for about 6 months and loved it. Money got tight, had to sell it, but have still been into photography even without the camera. I feel the more sensible option now is to get a digital camera or DSLR for permanent. I really really want a Digital Rebel but it would still require a couple more weeks of money saving while I could buy a Nikon Coolpix 5700 right now. I know I should hold out but that buying on impulse is really getting to me. Basically I just want you guys to reinforce my decision to hold out for the Digi Reb. Please! :D

hold ouit for the reb bro!!! the shutter lag on non DSLR's will be very evident after the first couple action shots you miss. plus the sensor size creates better, more color accurate pictures!!

md

MDowdey said:
hold ouit for the reb bro!!! the shutter lag on non DSLR's will be very evident after the first couple action shots you miss. plus the sensor size creates better, more color accurate pictures!!

md

Absolutely

Yeah, everyone is getting into the whole digital thing. I have my Sony DSC-F717 which is pretty cheap now, and I've always been happy using it. In fact, for my Intro Photography class, my end of the semester portfolio consisted mostly of pics shot with this "consumer" grade Sony camera (and printed with the Canon i-960 inkjet printer). My professor was AMAZED at the quality of them and he selected my portfolio to represent what we did in the course for the Photography departments end of the term meeting.

I've also used my (photography major) friend's Canon 1Ds, the results are amazing too, but it's too much for me really. Plus it's BULKY.

But these days, I've been using my Contax G1 film rangerfinder camera more then my digital. I like to take pics on the streets of NYC, and it's more convenient for candid street shots because the camera is tiny (people think i'm a tourist...so they don't care). Plus some of the film prints I get look SUPERIOR to the digital pics I've shot (must be the Zeiss optics).

I'd recommend going to dpreview.com to really research what you need in terms of a digital camera. Also, don't be drawn to the whole "the more Mega-pixels the better" charade, because you have to take other things into consideration like lens quality etc. If you don't plan on making lots of prints greater than say, 8x10...then you don't wanna buy more than you need.

But if you have the money, go for it...!

I'd also recommend going to pbase.com or photosig.com to look at sample pics of cameras you are interested in.

yeah, i bought the FZ20, which is called SLR-like... but i'm going to be selling it sometime soon and upgrading to the Digi rebel... i wanted it to begin with but the price tag put me off... i really regret not saving for a little extra time and getting it in the first place...

Most reactions

Back