Advice on Photography School

Although the idea of not going to school sounds really nice, as well as exposure saying that a degree is not necessary in the field. I would highly suggest it anyway. Because if you apply for a job and so does someone else with all the same qualifications but they have a degree, I think that 9 times out of 10 they will be the one that’s hired...maybe I'm wrong about that though...any thoughts from those with a degree?

PS: thanks nikon90s for the RMSP idea...this looks realy great.

Hey! People with photo degrees! Is it easier to get a job with a degree or withoug a degree? Whattaya think my chances are of getting a job if I have one? Hmmmm???????? And thanks everyone for all the advice...It helps alot! :D

Hey! People with photo degrees! Is it easier to get a job with a degree or withoug a degree? Whattaya think my chances are of getting a job if I have one? Hmmmm???????? And thanks everyone for all the advice...It helps alot! :D

It is going to be a toss up about getting a job. You should do a Monsters or a hot jobs search for photographer jobs. You will see that 80% of them are taking school year book shots and such. When you do that look what kind of experience they are looking for. I have a 2 year degree in business and about 10 years of on the job experience in sales and management. Most jobs I was looking into wanted a 4 year degree, which I don't have or on the job experience, which I do have and got paid to get. I just got a new job running the sales end of a High End Custom Home Theater firm. I found out about the job because I worked with someone in the past who recommended me for it. I would have never have found out about it with out him. What I am saying is school is very important but it is not real life. You should get as much education as you can and work in your field also. It is like a double edge sword, they don't want you with out some education and experience but it is hard to do both. Try to find a photographer that will help you out but don't get to know just one. Like with most things it is all about who you know. The more you get your name out there, you can even not be that good, the more jobs will come your way, granted the better you are the longer you will last. When you go on a job don't be the guy in the back ground that did not say anything, talk up tell people your name get theirs. Don't just hand out your card, become their friend. Who knows, that person could be your first job. If you want to make a living at it look into commercial photography I have a lady who takes pictures of work that we do and she is to say the very least not cheap. But we did not find her in the phone book she is a friend on the owners, I wonder why she first became their friend? I know it is going to should dumb but read Donald Trumps books, trust me on that one. To be a good photographer you need to be a good as a business person, sales person, office clerk, librarian, mail room clerk and oh yea a photographer. But that is like most professions!! I hope I helped and did not scare you too much!!

Good Luck...

ZacKrohn said:
Would it be a good idea to try to contact some of the local photographers and see if they were interested in having like an apprentice or a helper or something like that?

Yes, thats exactly what I did and I got a job as an assistant with a local wedding photographer. I contacted him in the winter so he was just starting to hire for the upcoming wedding season. Just call them up or send them an email. Even if they can't hire you they usually know other photographers who might. Also go to your local camera shop, preferably not a big chain store, and ask them if they know anyone or if anyone mentions they need help to give them your name.
One thing I've learned early on about the photo business is that it takes persistence and you have to make things happen for yourself.

Well to put it blantently Photography is a very commpetitive field am I right? Im a commpetitive person so I think I might have a good shot. Photojournalism is the field I want to get into too though....I suppose thats extremely commpetitive as well....well...Thanks for all advice...I think I have just made up my mind as to what I want to do! First I need to go become an assistant though! :D

Well, ZacKrohn I wish you the best of luck as well, as to what your going to do in your future. Im sure we both have a difficult road ahead of us. Hey, maybe we'll even find ourselves in the same photography school or workshop! Best of luck to everyone.

I want to go into photojournalism as well. After talking to a bunch of people already in the field I realize that it takes a lot of patience and work to get there. Most of the time you won't make a boatload of money.....but that's not everything, at least for me. Its a great idea to get experience however and wherever you can.

Obelix said:
Im a commpetitive person...

i don't know about your competetiveness, so i'm taking a shot in the dark, but competetiveness in high school academia doesn't count for much imo. I'm in a place right now where I have more of my own decisions to make than ever, and self-motivation isn't coming as easily as it used to (in high school).
just have respect for the weight of your desicions man :wink:

StvShoop Wrote:
just have respect for the weight of your desicions
I guess this would probably be the most important thing with dealing in with almost anything isnt it though? Especially in your field...but I do understand where your comming from...thats probably one of the best pieces of advice you could ever get.... [/b]

StvShoop Wrote:
just have respect for the weight of your desicions
I guess this would probably be the most important thing with dealing in with almost anything isnt it though? Especially in your field...but I do understand where your comming from...thats probably one of the best pieces of advice you could ever get.... [/b]

Well I wouldn’t call myself competitive. But I am determined and stubborn :p that should get me somewhere in life. If I put my mind to it I figure I can do anything I'd like. Plus I have a great way with people...or that’s what I'm told.
Most of the time you won't make a boatload of money.....but that's not everything, at least for me.
Me too. I figure as long as I make enough to survive I'll be happy. I'd rather be stuck with a job I love and not making great cash then working at a desk.
and self-motivation isn't coming as easily as it used to (in high school).
Just have respect for the weight of your decisions man
Hopefully self motivation wont be a problem once I get into it. I have problems with that now...mainly because I just don’t enjoy high school to much...although I do have enough motivation to get done what needs to be done.

Good luck to you too Obelix. maybe we'll see each other around. :p

Obelix, sorry to say "he" before, but Obelix IS a guy after all :D (I've got every single Asterix every made to my knowledge ;)

Please, if you're serious then go for assisting. Not only will YOU get paid, but you will be on the fast track to really learning. You can always switch photographers if you don't like who you're with.

How to do it? Just show up and say you want to assist, and that you'll work for next to nothing. If you call/visit 10 photographers, I bet over half will take you up. You don't need any experience to start, in fact you will probably be the assistant's assistant and spend the first few months carrying bags and generally being everyone's gopher.

I assisted for a photogrpher with a company called Red Square. Both he (and I) are in the fashion/commerical sector. Most photographers that I know of let their assistants use their equipment for personal projects.

Go for it.

I would highly suggest it anyway. Because if you apply for a job and so does someone else with all the same qualifications but they have a degree, I think that 9 times out of 10 they will be the one that’s hired...maybe I'm wrong about that though...any thoughts from those with a degree?
I can only speak from my experience, which involves freelance photography. If you show up and say you went to college and have a photography degree, alarms bells will go off in the clients head. It is a negative. I know personally.. hmm.. probably 2-3 dozen working photographers, none of them went to college for it.

Your book isn't the the most important thing, its the only thing.

(Note: if you want to get a job at a college teaching photography to students, then I bet you need a degree ;) )

Most reactions

New Topics

Back