Advice on photos for a musician friend

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I in need of some advice. I took some photos for a good friend who is a musician recently. He has just recorded his debut EP, which as far as I understand, is with a relatively small local record label, but it's kind of his first big break as a musician.

He has just sent me a message saying the marketing designer wants to use several of my photos for the album cover and artwork, which I'm stoked about, but I'm not really sure what to do in terms of me getting compensated for the photos. I want to help him out, and so far I've been more than happy for him to use the photos on his Facebook page etc (and he has credited me for the photos). Now it seems like if the photos are used in a commercial environment, like an album that is being promoted and sold, that I should be getting something for my photos. The problem is I don't want to jeopardise his chances of success, and I have literally no idea what a fair amount of money is to ask for. So far we haven't really discussed this property, he has only sent me a message asking for the full res photos and saying I will be credited in the album.

Help!

Do you know how to write a use license?

:: PLUS :: License Generator

The use licensing fee is usually based on how many impressions of a photo will be printed.
So how many albums are they going to initially 'press'?

He is saying "credited in the album" that he expects to get use of the photos for free. Lol !
How much is the marketing designer getting?

How much is your friend paying the small local record label?

Thanks for the response. No, I have never used a license and this is all new territory for me. I have no idea how many albums or who is getting paid what. I will check out the link. Cheers.

It's great they want to use your photos but I was thinking the same thing, the record label even if it's smaller and local is a business and will be making a profit from this, the marketing designer presumably gets paid... You could price on the lower end of a range since you want to support your friend and this isn't a large national label but still, I'd figure out pricing and keep within a reasonable range.

You could try American Society of Media Photographers or maybe PPA would have pricing guidelines but they're geared for the US market I think. I'm not familiar with typical pricing for this type work or pricing where you live. I would too recommend a contract that is specific on the time frame and amount of usage etc. and not open ended so they couldn't potentially use the photos indefinitely or for unspecified purposes.

Most reactions

Back