Advice on reflector/diffuser purchases

FeatherMonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So kinda understand the differences but not sure what is the most versatile and portable. Looking for a 2 speedlite set up but not quite sure whether I would be better with umbrellas/liners/shoot through or speedlite softboxes then also what sizes are manageable and versatile. Also any recommendations for portable reflectors.

So looking for advice and recommendations with pro's and cons. My thinking was an umbrella with liners as this could also be used as shoot through. Just felt this has more versatility? What would the smallest useful size be.

Yeah I think Umbrella's with a liner would be a good place to start.

They are pretty versatile and lightweight. I would look for something in the area 33" or more. They're pretty affordable so you could get a couple different sizes and use them together or separately as needed.

Yes, 32, 33,34 inch umbrellas work okay...I actually kind of like that size. Photoflex makes decent ones; so does Westcott. The type with the "liner" is commonly called a convertible umbrella...it has a removable black backing, and with that removed it can be used as a shoot-through. This is a popular type.

Umbrellas are sometimes measured across the curved or back edge, other times across the front. There's too much emphasis on "HUGE" umbrellas. 40 to 45 inchers are plenty and CAN and WILL light up larger areas.

Here is a great value in 40 inch umbrella boxes, from a company that has been in business for 30 some odd years: Amazon.com PBL Photo Studio 40 inch Reflective Umbrella Softboxes Set of Two Steve Kaeser Photographic Lighting and Accessories Umbrella Photography Camera Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back