Advice on taking close up product photos

It seems like the close-up you previously did was, in fact, too close for the camera to autofocus properly.

What I would to to fix that is take the photo about 30cm away, then crop the photo afterwards. Also, am I right in saying that you can zoom while in macro mode? That might help.

Also, I would highly recommend taking photos at the camera's full resolution, then scaling it down in Photoshop, or even MS Paint. It will get you slightly sharper looking shots.

Good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for all the input. I've been trying your suggestions, and have gotten a bit of improvement, but still not there yet. Grateful if you could look at the latest photo and advise.

The settings used were:
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot A520
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Flash Used: Yes (manual)
Focal Length: 18.7mm (35mm equivalent: 118m...
CCD Width: 5.69mm
Exposure Time: 0.0100 s (1/100)
Aperture: f/6.3
ISO Equiv.: 50
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure Mode: Manual
Exposure Mode: Auto bracketing
IMG_4308.jpg

Don't use flash, put the object on a a reflective surface like plexi glass, and put up a card or something to make whatever the plexi is reflecting in the background, solid.

Then use a can of air to blow off dust.

That will get you better results than direct flash and a bunch of 8/5 x 11 sheets of paper.

You seem to have found a focal distance that works. I see no need to change cameras.

I'd suggest that you get a simple light tent kit (even Sam's Club sells them!) if you're going to be doing much of this type of shooting. Light is much more controllable, reflections and glare are more manageable.

Whatever you do, use a tripod, and NEVER use the built in flash.

It just takes some practice.

i shoot a lot of artwork - often jewelry and sculpture. So I know how tricky this shooting can be. The light tent is the single best way to do it!

I've taken a number of shots of my wood turnings with a Canon Powershot A75 with good results and here is what I do. Put the object on a neutral background. I use an old grey sheet. Put the camera on a tripod, turn the flash off, put the camera on aperture control and set the aperture to F8 (F11 if you need more depth of field) and set the shutter timer for 2 or 10 seconds. Place the camera about 4 feet or so away from your subject and use the zoom to frame the picture. This will provide better autofocusing.

You can play around with the light. I wound up using the clamp on lights you can get from your home center that have the aluminum reflector. I use a couple of these along with the ambient light. You will probably have to adjust your white balance to get the color right, but you will anyway unless you have some kind of studio lights.

I got a light tent and a couple of Impact lights with stands for Christmas this year and I am getting better results with those, but the above worked for me for quite a while as a cheap and dirty method.

Hi all,

I've been working at taking the best shot I can using my Powershot A520. It's come quite a way since the first try. Since the last shot I've built a DIY lightbox so I can take the shot without the flash. Here's the result. Grateful for your comments.

IMG_4455.jpg

Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 23.2mm (35mm equivalent: 147m...
Exposure Time: 0.050 s (1/20)
Aperture: f/5.5
ISO Equiv.: 50
Whitebalance: Manual
Light Source: Incandescent

You are definitely making progress. White balance and exposure seems ok. Maybe a f8.0 would have been better making more of the product sharp with a deeper dof. A quick fix with levels in photoshop would bring out the black as well.

I agree. You need a little more depth of field. Try F8. You can bump up your iso to 200 if you like to increase your shutter speed.

Yeah the third is mucho better. I was going to ask if you had a good window with blinds. I use my blinds to flood light in on occassion when I shoot indoors.

much better as you went. Change the f stop to a larger number [smaller aperture] for increased depth of field and it will again jump up quality wise for you. Photography in this digital age is o much easier than it used to be - you can get instant feedback on what you just did, make changes and start over. Nice.

Hi all,

I've tried moving up to f8 - and yes, it has given me a bit more sharpness!

IMG_4533.jpg

Resolution: 1024 x 768
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 16.0mm (35mm equivalent: 101m...
Exposure Time: 0.050 s (1/20)
Aperture: f/8.0 ISO Equiv.: 50
Whitebalance: Manual
Light Source: Incandescent

Most reactions

Back