Advice on Tele lens 500 mm or more

Good shot. Any idea of the distance? The depth of field is REALLY razor thin!

That's an excellent example of the traditional mirror lens "Doughnut Bokeh" to.

35-40 feet if memory serves.

Throw a 2x teleconverter on the Sigma 150-500 and there you go.

Just buy a telescope and make an EF mount adapter. :) :lmao:

If you say so!

NikontoCelestron08.jpg

35-40 feet if memory serves.

The DOF is so narrow that the leg at the left of the image is already going out of focus. I knew they had shallow depth of field but I didn't realize it was that shallow.

You didn't have the proper focus apparatus. You needed the CelestronPRO Focomaticator 5.2.1 beta. Increases aperture by an effective 3 stops! Plus if you put the sticker on your car, you can launch from any airport!!!

Ok, let me really help you as I was in the same position a few years ago. Try and find a Leica 560/6.8 lens. It is a very long but actually quite light lens. It focuses with a sliding mechanism like a Trombone and has a shoulder stock. Very simple lens design that can actually pull off good shots routinely.

Here is the lens next to my Canon 400/5.6 for comparision:
99919249.jpg

This was shot with it:

99771641.jpg

And a crop from the shot above:

99773215.jpg

This shot was more of a test of it's capability. The lens is combined here with my Canon 1.4x T-con and then used on a cropped body for max reach:

107437136.jpg

This was a handheld shot with it:

113260384.jpg

So, it may look a bit goofy in use but the lens is actually quite good and while hard to find not bad price wise. If memory serves correctly I'd say a it's in the $400-$600 range.

If you can go a bit higher my current setup is using an old Nikon 800/5.6 mf lens. They can be had used for around $3000 or less. A really good piece of glass but does require good technique.

109234907.jpg

jamesdak, Why does the exif info for the blue heron and bighorn show you were using a 50mm lens?

jamesdak, Why does the exif info for the blue heron and bighorn show you were using a 50mm lens?

Anytime you use alternative lenses on the EOS bodies with an adapter the camera defaults to 50mm. That is one of the shortcomings of using alternative lenses if tracking that info is important to you. Plus you have to be willing to play with exposure compensation some or meter by hand.

I'd be the man if I could get eagle shots like that with a 50mm, LOL!!!

I do not like borrow lenses as ones in the pass i just drop it

Rent a lens don't borrow one. All the good online and in store rentals offer insurance for cheep.

Most likely the lens will be in very rare use so I do not what to spend a lot of money but I need lens which will give me good, sharp picture at least good base to digital post-processing.

You are rarely going to use it so just rent it when you do and get a really good lens for the time you need.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back