Advice on Upcoming Gigs

max3k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to be photographing 2 Vacation Bible Schools over the next 3 weeks. I think this would be a great opportunity to get my minstry out to the public. I currently have a smugmug account and would be creating private galleries for viewing. What other ways could I take advantage of these opportunities?

Hello, I'm not real clear on what you mean by "I think this would be a great opportunity to get my ministry out to the public", so thought I better ask.

Do you want the public in general to see the ministry going on at VBS?

Or do you want to promote what you are doing as a ministry to encourage others and/or make yourself available to others?

I shoot events for my church (including VBS), and for the denomination/conference my church is part of. For my church, when parents sign up their kids for VBS they are informed that the images will be shared in our church photo gallery, so I make it public. They are secured from downloading (although, a savvy individual will find ways), but for most instances the security on the site will make it difficult to “grab” an image.

Parents can contact me for a secure area where they log in if they want a copy of the image for downloading.

At the end of VBS part of the closing program is a photo show of the week. I am going to be more proactive this year in letting parents know they can download free copies of any images I took. Probably use the last slide to announce it.

As far as shooting events for the denomination, they came to me after seeing all my pictures on my churches photo gallery (http://crosstown.zenfolio.com/). I have done three shoots, and I may talk to them and let them know I am available for more. I just want to be careful not to incur too many expenses (they have covered that in the past, just not sure they want to budget for it right now).

I would like to help out more folks (possibly other congregations) and shoot events as a ministry, just not sure how to cover my costs and time and all that. With a young family at home, the time aspect being the biggest thing. It would be nice too if that work led to some paid gigs after folks saw my work, but not sure I can fit that in with a day job anyway, and that would not be my primary goal for doing the ministry gigs anyway.

Anyway, when you say "take advantage of these opportunities", are you looking to hopefully gain some paying work out of it?

myfotoguy,

You have the right idea of what I'm trying to do. I want to post the images on my smugmug account and my website www.ExposingGod.com If the parents want a copy, I'll just give them the files. My goal is really to help those who cant afford a paid photographer, and have an opportunity to share Christ with people I wouldn't normally have contact with.

Not looking for paying work really. (it would be ok, but not the goal)

Sounds like great work, and rewarding. Cool ministry!

I would print up some sheets to hand out, with clear instructions how to sign up/register and then download images (or request CD's). I would also briefly mention the process is for security (so they understand why your not just giving them a link they can go to and easily download without registering). Some folks don't understand why things need to be so secure, that is why I would include a brief explanation. Or maybe just something with your contact info, saying you would be glad to get them some free copies. Then when you talk to them, tell them a couple ways you can share the images with them.

If it fits the VBS program, maybe set aside a place to get a formal shot of each kid. Let the parents know you’ll make an electronic copy available for free. Some VBS programs are tight on the schedule, so this might not be an option.

I am usually shooting up until the end of the program each night. Otherwise, I would setup a place where folks could come see me to “order” or get instructions on getting some shots of their kid(s) once I get them ready.

One year, a shot of each kid was used for craft time, and the craft leader used the images as part of a craft they could take home.

I’ll check out your site (www.ExposingGod.com) later from home.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back