advice please - how to remove the redness

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here is a scan of a print from a slide that I did for one of my school assignments.

In person her face wasnt unnaturally red. When I scanned the image, the scan turned out a bit redder than what the print actually was but color correction was turned off on the scanner, go figure.

The slide film was daylight ballanced, and I used a hand held flash, so im not sure where the red came from. Also I dont think the wall was that shade of purple, more a grey, but my memory could be wrong.

Ive tried various techniques to get rid of the redness but nothing looks great to me, so I was hoping I could get some advice here how to correct it.

So far ive tried...

in cmyk - levels, boost the cyan but didnt look great. did auto levels and it looked worse.

in rgb - created a cyan layer and masked it tothe face, lowered the opacity so it looks more natural and changed the blending mode to screen I think. This looks the best but still, the face looks a bit unnatural. I also did curves on the rest of the image to help adjust that as well.

Th reason I did the cyan layer is because cyan is the complimentary to red and using it like this as a filter, it gets rid of the red. My teacher suggested to boost the cyan in portraits to make it look a bit more natural, while in levels.

The other things I did with the face masked was to play with curves and to play with levels. But neither of these turned out that great.

Anyone have any tips?

Also I know the portrait isnt the best. I should have used a narrow dof, the necklace isnt in focus, and the shadows are annoying. I plan to remove the shadows before I reprint.

Thanks for advice in advance.

Oh, and here is the unedited picture.

small.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/37602446/original.jpg

* edited to see if I could fix the thumbnail.

For some reason it doesnt want to show the direct link picture, but the original link there works, at least for me.

I do not understand why her face is so red. In photoshop I lassoed her face and feathered the selection to 30. Then converted the file to cmyk and opened the yellow and magenta channels. Be sure to have the channels pallete open. This helps in understanding what is going in the photo, because monitors are really hard to judge color by.

This was done quickly. It could use a little more work. At this point I would sample the trouble areas and select them using the color range option.

original5ln.jpg

Thanks for the advice craig, im going to go try that in ps now. :0)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back