Advice please: Telephoto zoom for A mount APSC (SLT a35)

philaw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I'll try to contribute in areas that I know about, but joined to get help buying a long lense.

I'm looking to get either the sony dt 55-200 4.5-5.6, sony 75-300 4.5-5.6 or tamron 70-300 4-5.6 (macro) telephoto zooms second hand. I don't shoot anything that really requires a long lense, but now that I've bought quality stuff at the shorter lengths I use frequently, I'm stuck with this lense mount for the foreseeable future, and feel like buying a used telephoto for occasional use. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I know the old minolta lenses are highly regarded for build quality, but I'm only concerned with how the pictures look at the end of it all and am happy to use something plastic that weighs less. For sheer picture quality, am I likely to see a difference?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

I've attached a photo I took in Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago to add some interest!

The classic Minolta beer can 70-210mm f4 still has great IQ over many current lenses.
The Tamron is rated higher than that Sony ... the old Minolta 75-300mm beer can is better than both.

The classic Minolta beer can 70-210mm f4 still has great IQ over many current lenses.
The Tamron is rated higher than that Sony ... the old Minolta 75-300mm beer can is better than both.

So the message is avoid the new Sony ones? I assume that things like coatings and even glass should be way better by now, but everybody with experience seems to prefer the older ones, so who am I to disagree. I'll check out the Minolta ones and get a tamron if I can't find one in decent condition. Any other opinions?

Thanks for the help.

Good IQ telephoto zoom lenses are not cheap ... as you stated you are not committed to long focal length, I did not make any suggestions on the higher price end.

Good IQ telephoto zoom lenses are not cheap ... as you stated you are not committed to long focal length, I did not make any suggestions on the higher price end.

that's fair enough. I was kinda asking for the least worst option for occasional use.

From personal use I would recommend the Minolta Maxxum 100-300mm APO. It is smaller and lighter than the 75-300mm 'Big Beercan' lens. Prices on Maxxum lenses are down at this time, you should be able to get one in great condition for under $200 US.

Phil

From personal use I would recommend the Minolta Maxxum 100-300mm APO. It is smaller and lighter than the 75-300mm 'Big Beercan' lens. Prices on Maxxum lenses are down at this time, you should be able to get one in great condition for under $200 US.

Phil
really under $200???
if that's true. i really happy.
thanks
o.png

Most reactions

Back