Advice, please

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do I take a new job in the Portland, Oregon metro area or stay where I am? My current employer is willing to match salary...

doing the same thing?

what's it like in Portland?

Is it far from where you live now?

Do you like your current boss?

what is the meaning of life?

uh...why are you asking us?
Is it the same work?
Do you like your boss?
Do you like what you're doing?

If yes...to those...then just stay. No point in driving or moving.

I'm a city planner and currently work for the City of Grants Pass, which is a community of about 30,000 "souls" in southern Oregon. I moved out here two years ago to take this position and have enjoyed the job and my coworkers quite a lot.

I applied for a job in the Portland metro area and, to my surprise, got an offer. It's not a bad one, being a planner for the City of Tualatin, which is a suburb. I'd be doing similar work.

For those of you that've been to Portland, you don't need me to tell you what a great place it is. I'm 29 and currently live in a retirement community and feel like if I don't get out now, I never will. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Go man, you've got nothing to lose. When you have career opportunities, it is a bad move to not jump on them. Build your resume that way. I'm not saying change jobs every 6 months... but every 3-5 years can be a good thing depending on your field. Hiring managers will not see that as flakey, putting in a couple years and moving up... Just make sure thats the case. Lateral movement too many times can look bad.

It sounds to me like this is a better job with more responsibility. You enjoy the city... I think maybe your mind is already made up.

and retirement community??? lol

Well... the same but way different! lol

I was in business with my father and brother for around 5 years and frankly, I felt like I carried them (it was a painting company that offered remodeling services. My dad was old school painting contractor, brother was a white collar worker in a blue collar field and I did all things remodeling and most (85%) of the marketing and cold calling). I decided to leave that company (I had a third of the stock in) and go out on my own.

I (here's where you need to know this about me. I am a Christian and feel very strongly about my faith, so, I did put faith in God and ask questions and argued a bit about the decision.) struggled and struggled with my decision and one day I simply ask myself "Do you want to stay or go?" I had a clear, precise answer in my head immediately that said "Go."

Basically, I followed my heart and left my family business. It's been almost 9 years now on my own and I'm only 38 now.

I think the questions you need to ask should be directed to the guy you see in the mirror. Good luck. I feel for you... I've been there.

i say get out and try something new then. You don't wanna get stuck in that retirement place

Which one has (better) benefits?

I'd go out on a limb and guess that since he's going from one city to another as a city planner, then he probably works for the state government. Probably the same benifits?

I'd go out on a limb and guess that since he's going from one city to another as a city planner, then he probably works for the state government. Probably the same benifits?

You've got it, Hawk. Not a state government, but one city to another. Very similar benefits. One gives a few more days off, but that's about it; not enough to make or break the decision for me.

Blah. I thought people fighting over me would be fun. It's not as exciting as I first thought.:er:

You have to make this decision on your own. Get a piece of paper and a pen, write down a list of pros and cons (like proximity to work, distance to travel, costs, benefits, proximity to family/friends, the kind of person you are and the kind of area you're moving to etc etc etc financially figure it all out too). Sometimes looking at it all there on paper can clarify it a little as its all up in your head and you're liable to see all the pros of a new job before any cons.

If the new job is moving up the ladder, its worth taking it.

If the new job is on the same level as your current job, which you have experience in and are used to, then you should consider staying at the new job if they are willing to match your wage - the fact that they want to match it reflects on you to begin with because they obviously want to keep you so you must be good at what you do! This could be good for the future and enable you to progress up the ladder at the current job what with the experience, their wanting to keep you on and then, as someone said, loyalty of staying.

At the end of the day, if you want a change of scenery and something new and you feel its time for a change, you have to decide if this specific new job is the change you're after.

Besides. If you took the new job and you hated it, you can always find another one. You're, as i said, obviously good at what you do and so you should be able to fall on your feet.

Congrats on the Job offer. Good luck making your decision! :)

Thanks for the advice, guys. Taking my current job was a bit of a no-brainer for me--I was still in grad school, had little "real" job experience, and had no other offers. Grants Pass offered to pay for my move here from Nebraska, gave me a pretty decent wage, and gave me a start for my career. Here it is, two years later, and it's like I started work yesterday.

Right now here's what I'm trying to determine:

1. Is the wage Tualatin is offering worth the added expense of living in a major metro area?

2. Is the wage Grants Pass is offering worth the added emotional stress of living in a small town?

3. What is the possibility that I'll finish my grad work within a year, thereby making myself more marketable to more employers?
I told my current employer that I'll let them know by Friday. All my friends (save two, who are also both planners) are telling me to take the new job because I'll be happier. My planner friends are telling me to take the extra cash from my current job, hammer out my grad work, then go for a better job in the Portland area.

Does this qualify as a life-changing decision? Or am I blowing this out of proportion?

finishing school is a better investment for your future especially if you can finish it in 6 months if you bust your ass!

can that added bit of happiness wait 6ish months?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back