Advice Please

louie999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I need to take some decent pictures and would appreciate any suggestions, advice from anyone.

I need the photos I am taking to be of this quality:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/ann7777/drape1.jpg

But, this is the best I've been able to do:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/ann7777/drape1-1.jpg

As you can see, there is a big difference in quality. One looks professional, the other does not. I am using a regular digital camera with no special lighting. What I would like to know is if there is a special lense or something I need to get a more detailed picture, more up close?

Any suggestions would be very, very helpful, thanks again!

It's all in the lighting. Drape 1 is correctly exposed with proper lighting, Drape 1-1 is very much over exposed with what appears to be a single, over-strong flash. You'll need at two least two light sources, diffusers and possibly a reflector or two to even things out. I'd suggest going to a bookstore or your local library for some books on lighting. Things like this might look simple, but they take some skill and knowledge. Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I figured it was probably a lighting issue. Somone else told me that there's a special lense I would need to get closer up pictures... like when they take pictures of a home's interior. Is that true? I wonder if I should just buy a different camera and than go rent some lighting.... Thanks again!

tirediron is correct that the lighting in link #2 is the most obvious issue. However, look closely at your link #1. What else makes that one a better photo?

1 - The drapes are evenly draping, leaving clean lines and then flare out nicely at the floor line.

2 - Composition.

3 - Nice PoV. There is an even edge of the curtain rod and the door. Link #2 needs for you to be at a higher position.

Just my 2¢. Keep at it.

It might also help to tell what gear you have to shoot this photo.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you need these pics for some specific reason aside from just learning how to do it. If that is the case, as much fun as you may have trying, remember that people study long and hard to be good at this and you might consider hiring someone experienced to do the job.

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying, but there is a science and an art to this. The picture is not all in the camera and lens -- it comes from the photographer.

Thanks for the input. I agree that the composition of link #2 leaves a lot to be desired, however, I didn't spend any time on that as I just wanted to see how clear of a shot I was able to get first. The lighting is definetely something I need to adjust and shooting from a higher vantage point is a good tip.

I wish I could hire a photographer, but I am on an extremely tight budget and have to do most things myself. I'm a quick learner though and I think learning how to get a decent shot of my items will be good as it is something I need to do regularly.

Can anyone suggest the best, most economical lighting that I should try? Thanks.

Can anyone suggest the best, most economical lighting that I should try? Thanks.

You might try available light with the camera on a tripod. That's pretty simple, and often looks better than straight on flash.

Most reactions

Back