Advice please.

SavannahBC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay sorry this doesn't have anything to do with taking photo's butttt
I'm finally in the year of school where I have to do work experience, so far I've been looking for placements since May and had no luck. I've tried the local newspaper and some local photography places but none do work experience. I live in West Bromwich, which is near Birmingham. I would look for places in Birmingham but it's too much hassle for me to get there and back everyday, but it if comes down to it, I guess I could put up with the hassle for 5 days. I've only lived here for just under a year so I'm not great with the area either. So if anyone has any idea's of where I can do my work experience. Any idea's of what kind of things to go for, all I know is I really want to do it in photography, even though it might be kinda rubbish because I won't be doing much, but y'know. What kind of places should I be looking at? Many thanks if you can help!

UK! :)
As for getting a job I would say first port of call is to expand your area that you're searching in. If you can't get a job in one range move on to the next - sure it means more travel time which is a pain, but it increases your chances of getting a job.
Also make a note of all the places you have contacted along with the responce that you get from them. Then if you are still having serious trouble getting a job go to you school and talk to them, showing them the list of places you have tried (so as to prove that you are not just being lazy). You might find that the school can help get you in somewhere.
Also ask parents as well - your friends parents might know somewhere or they might have a local business and be willing to take you on on short term

Savannah...
Just a thought...
Pick a shop - any shop...
Hairdresser, Bridal Shop, Local Supermarket, Shopping Mall... or a factory...
Ask them if you can do your Work Experience at their place - but doing your thing... Taking photographs...
Tell them that you will give them the best of your photographs to display in their workplace...
Negotiate with your Career's Adviser that what you are doing is "Work Experience..." You are taking photographs of People in their Environments...
That's "Work-Experience..."
Jedo

There's not much point in showing them my photo's because I won't be taking photo's and I don't expect too. Thats the problem, a good few places think I'm expecting to be able to take photo's so they wont give me a placement. :\

UK! :)
As for getting a job I would say first port of call is to expand your area that you're searching in. If you can't get a job in one range move on to the next - sure it means more travel time which is a pain, but it increases your chances of getting a job.
Also make a note of all the places you have contacted along with the responce that you get from them. Then if you are still having serious trouble getting a job go to you school and talk to them, showing them the list of places you have tried (so as to prove that you are not just being lazy). You might find that the school can help get you in somewhere.
Also ask parents as well - your friends parents might know somewhere or they might have a local business and be willing to take you on on short term
:thumbup: I actually had the right country in mind. How about that!

Maybe my world geography is better than I give my self credit for.

heh though I can understand the confusion at times - for some reason english colonists liked to call places the same as they were at home..... often just tacking "new" on to the name - and sometimes not ;)

Does your work experience have to be in photography? I know that idealy one would get work experience in the area that they want to progress in, but if it is just general work experience for school (and grades) for a short period of time why not move out of photographs and into anything.
That would at least let you pass the assessment - and then after that you can look to maybe securing your own work experience (though honestly go for shadowing or some form of training setup rather than work experience - since then you will get some proper training/experience out of the deal rather than just being the carrier of gear; maker of coffee and cleaner up of messes.)

Its work experience, well no it doesn't have to be in photography, but I have no idea what else to go for, which is yet another problem for me :\ Do they let you do work experience in College's or Uni's?

and sorry I probably should of mentioned it's in the UK xD

Most reactions

New Topics

Back