Advice Please :)

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by kac31, May 13, 2007.

1. kac31

kac31 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    oooookkkk!

So first of all, I just want to say that I
    am never going to purchase a Nikon camera ever again. No offense to any of you who prefer Nikon. The one that I had was not a nice, big one or anything, but it broke twice (something with the flash) and I had to send it to Cali to get it fixed. And a few weeks ago it broke for the third time and I have to send it to Cali again!

Anyways. I am trying to find a photography class to get in this summer at our community college. I want to get a little experience before I actually go to college because I really want to minor in photography.

But I kind of have a problem. I do need to think about getting a nice camera to work with... and I don't want to just go out and buy one. I don't know anything about the big, nice cameras that are actually good for photography... so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with and tell me some things like what all of the abbreviations I read about mean, what kind of lens/shutter to get and how much they cost, and most importantly, what kind of camera will be best? And any other important things I should know, and don't!

Thanks for your time! :D

2. joey33

joey33 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Don’t buy anything yet!!… wait… get into the class… learn something first…I am would think a friend, a family member, uncle aunt cousin grandparent or this school can loan you what you need. Be patient!! Learn how you like to take photographs first then take that knowledge and go forward

3. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm kind of with Joey on this as you are clearly a beginner. But here's some things that would be helpful to know.

What type of images do you like shooting?

How much do you have to spend?

Don't ignore Nikon because of a bad experience with a camera although I do prefer the Canon myself there's not that much between them.

Also buy a book called understanding exposure. it will teach you some basics you need to know.

By the way ANY camera is good for photography - it's how you use it that matters. Regards abbreviations, tell us what you read..... or better still search google..... the answers to everything are there.

Lenses are down to how much money you have and what you want to take images of. Also you don't buy a "shutter" you buy a camera.

best camera is very subjective and everyone will have a different answer from $100 point and shoots (P&S) to $5,000 high spec dSLRs and even more for digital medim and large format cameras.

You need the best for your use and budget which is different. Tell us and I'm sure you'll get help.

Regards
    Jim

4. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ask the big time fashion photographers what the best camera is and they'll point you towards the 35,000 dollar Hasselblad digital medium formats.

But I promise you, you dont need to sell your house to become a good photographer.

5. bluerangeriii

bluerangeriii TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    your class is film correct? you dont need an expensive film camera. you can go to a thrift store and grab a used minolta for under 50 bucks. make sure its in good working order and it usually comes with a basic 50mm lens. my camera has lasted me years. its all manual but its the best way to learn.