Advice

clark3461

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need some advice. I want to purchase my wife a Canon xti. She currently has an older 35mm minolta. She has minolta, Sigma and Tamron lenses. Can those lenses be used on the new digital Canon? What do you think?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

No, lenses meant for a Minolta camera, can not be used on a Canon camera...the mount is different.

Minolta no longer makes cameras or lenses, but Sony has bought out their photographic interests. So you could buy a new Sony DSLR camera and the lenses would probably be compatible.

If the old minolta is a Maxxum, then the lenses will fit the Sony line. If that is the case, take my advice and get one of the Sony Alpha series... I have the a200, and personally I think it is an amazing camera for the money and you can get it now from the sony site for only $499. Anyway, just thought I'd throw my two cents in because I am soooo happy with mine...

If the old minolta is a Maxxum, then the lenses will fit the Sony line. If that is the case, take my advice and get one of the Sony Alpha series... I have the a200, and personally I think it is an amazing camera for the money and you can get it now from the sony site for only $499. Anyway, just thought I'd throw my two cents in because I am soooo happy with mine...
I agree with all of the above advice. Since you already have Minolta glass (and some 3rd party glass made for the Minolta), go with one of the new Sonys. I love my A200. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back