Advice

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by clark3461, Aug 7, 2008.

1. clark3461

clark3461 TPF Noob!

I need some advice. I want to purchase my wife a Canon xti. She currently has an older 35mm minolta. She has minolta, Sigma and Tamron lenses. Can those lenses be used on the new digital Canon? What do you think?

Thanks

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

No, lenses meant for a Minolta camera, can not be used on a Canon camera...the mount is different.

Minolta no longer makes cameras or lenses, but Sony has bought out their photographic interests. So you could buy a new Sony DSLR camera and the lenses would probably be compatible.

3. Sirashley

Sirashley TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If the old minolta is a Maxxum, then the lenses will fit the Sony line. If that is the case, take my advice and get one of the Sony Alpha series... I have the a200, and personally I think it is an amazing camera for the money and you can get it now from the sony site for only $499. Anyway, just thought I'd throw my two cents in because I am soooo happy with mine...

4. bullitt453

bullitt453 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with all of the above advice. Since you already have Minolta glass (and some 3rd party glass made for the Minolta), go with one of the new Sonys. I love my A200. :thumbup: