Adviced Needed on Lens for Canon Digital Reb XT

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by rp1600, Oct 25, 2006.

1. rp1600

rp1600 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Okay, so the kit 18mm-55mm / 3.5 lens on my canon digital reb is apparently kaput. Been noticing focus issues lately and yesterday realized during manual focus there's some play in the focus ring. Is this commonplace in kit lens. It's about a year or so old.

I'm looking for a replacement for it. Comparable zoom, maybe a little faster. Any suggestions? I hoping i don't have to sell my first born to afford a new one but would like something with a little more speed and durability than the kit lens.

2. Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well there is a plethera of lenses out there that could suit your need... how about how much you actually want to spend and what you plan on shooting... sometimes it doesnt hurt to make an adjustment of your focal length if you find you arent using the short end of the kit lens or vice versa...

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In the Canon line up...there is the EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM. It's not any faster than the kit lens...but it does have IS. I've heard that this lens is OK...but not great. It's probably as good or better than the kit lens though.

I've heard really good things about this lens EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM...It's fast & wide...plus it has IS...but it's expensive. Optical performance is said to be very good.

EF 17-40mm f/4L USM This lens has a very good reputation...after all, it is an L lens. It will work on a full frame camera, if you have a film EOS or if you upgrade from your Rebel. Not very fast at F4...but it's supposed to be super sharp.

Also, you can look into these lenses
    Sigma 17-35/2.8-4 EX DG
    Tamron SP AF17-35/2.8-4 Di LD

4. rp1600

rp1600 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Mike what i'm looking for is something that I can primarily use in the studio, which I'm just setting up. Something that'll be fast enough to allow background blur. But I also want something that'll work shooting outdoor portraits, so i'd like some zoom flexibility.

With all that said, looking to spend a $200-$400 on something that'll do what I want as I learn my way around digital and gain experience shooting in the studio.

5. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you need/want something as wide as 17 or 18mm?

The Sigma and the Tamron are around $400-$500, I think. But you probably won't find a fast zoom lens for $400.

Flexibility is nice...but fast zoom lenses, especially quality ones, are expensive. Have you considered prime lenses? They are fast and usually very good, optically.

6. rp1600

rp1600 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am open to any and all suggestions, so if you know of any good prime lens in the $200 or so range, definitely pass them on.

7. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 50mm F1.8 is around $100. It's cheap and plasticy but quite sharp.
    The 80mm F1.8 is around $300 and supposed to be great (there is a recent thread about it)

You may want something wider if your studio space isn't very large.
    35mm
    28mm
    24mm
    Sigma has a 30mm F1.4 that is supposed to be pretty good.

8. rp1600

rp1600 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    And is that 50mm the equivalent to an 80mm in 35mm format? Sorry i'm onesie and twosiing this thread.

9. Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The "perceived" focal length is 80mm... the actual focal length does not change... its still a 50mm lens... the picture is just cropped from the smaller sensor...

10. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't worry about what the lenses will be equivalent to in terms of 35mm film. Just get a feel for what that focal length will feel like on your camera...and make your decision based on that.