advices before i leave

klissarov ik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i would like to ask for some advices/tips before i leave for my trip although some might sound dumb..

1 what should i do if my lens receive water on it? (anything special for cleaning or)

2 what can i do if i must leave my camera in the car for a little while while it's hot.. i heard something about little gel packs in bags.. what's that about?

thats it for now if i think about some more things, i'll reply in here.
thanks

i would like to ask for some advices/tips before i leave for my trip although some might sound dumb..

1 what should i do if my lens receive water on it? (anything special for cleaning or)

2 what can i do if i must leave my camera in the car for a little while while it's hot.. i heard something about little gel packs in bags.. what's that about?

thats it for now if i think about some more things, i'll reply in here.
thanks

1.Any camera lens cleaning fluid and lens tissue will work fine to remove spots.
2. IMO I wouldn't use anything at all short times left in the car wont hurt a camera unless you're heading to the desert and the time left in the car was days

water and lenses don't mix very well. The odd spot from spray is not a problem. But if you fall in the water with it . I can only suggest good insurance. ! !.

If you are likely to encounter rain. A good tip is to put a plastic bag over the end of the lens, having cut a (VERY SLIGHTLY SMALLER THAN) lens sizede hole in the base. Attach it with a rubber band to the end of the lens. And you can put your head into the bag and look through you viewfinder...

Yes you DO look a total idiot. But you get the shot. and in all but the worst weather the camera . the lens. and not your bank account stays dry...

The best lens cleaner is pure grain alcohol. The kind you drink that is 190 proof. It is much purer than any other out there and in a pinch will clean wounds. Do not (!) pour the liquid onto the lens but rather dab a bit onto the lens cloth and start in the middle of the lens. Gently dab the lens with the damp cloth in a circular motion moving towards the outside of the lens. Only use one spot of the cloth for a little bit of the lens and when it's time to go to another bit of cloth, use a rolling motion to get any dust or film that the cloth may be pushing ahead if it off the lens.

The best thing is to use a good quality UV filter and a lens hood.

If the lens is just dusty, you can find lens brushes at most camera stores just be careful with that too. A lens scratch is like an insult- it can never be taken back.

mike With a bit of practice you will use the rolling motion exclusively (no -just- rubbing) and never rub the lens with out it. If you can visualize this, go ahead and start this way. m e

The inference being that if you pour it onto the lens it will eat the plastic !! Bend and melt the glass. and the fumes will put you to sleep for two weeks !. But when you awake , you will see the cleanest Blob of black plastic in the world. Allbeit through a pair of VERY fuzzy eyes......

The inference being that if you pour it onto the lens it will eat the plastic !! Bend and melt the glass. and the fumes will put you to sleep for two weeks !. But when you awake , you will see the cleanest Blob of black plastic in the world. Allbeit through a pair of VERY fuzzy eyes......

LOLOL you really don't want to drink it. Seriously though, you don't want to ever pour liquid on a lens because the liquid might get inside it and cause spots where you couldn't get to. Also fungus grows in a moist environment and you absolutely do not want that.

mike

any names I can look for when looking for a cleaner?

LOLOL you really don't want to drink it. Seriously though, you don't want to ever pour liquid on a lens because the liquid might get inside it and cause spots where you couldn't get to. Also fungus grows in a moist environment and you absolutely do not want that.

mike

in this case would that be inebriated mushrooms ...

Commercial, I don't know but just ask for PGA in a liquor store. ;)

mike

(the thing is that there aren't any additives because it's for human consumption- any additives will get left behind on the lens unless you rub the lens a lot. The less you rub a lens the better.)

thanks for the advices buthere is a few more questions

1 the kit cleaner i bought has a LCD Screen Cleaner liquid.. can i clean the lens with it or only the LCD screen? it has Anti-Static & Alcohol and Ammonia Free in it

2 i saw a little Silica Gel in my bag.. am i supposed to leave it packed like that or it won't do any effect.. how can i use this? i saw some even smaller bags of this kind of gel i think in my Filter's little bag also..

also, i was wondering is it normal when i use my 72mm lens with a setup ring for filters.. i can't put the hood on.. i guess i must use it without it if i put the setup ring on?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back