Advise needed on camera and lenses

TrueColors

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im would like to do a complete overhaul on my photographic arsenal. Im am considering D3S- does anyone shoot with this body? And would you recommend it? I currently shoot with a D40 which has a DX sensor, so I am unfamiliar with the D3S's FX sensor. I do understand that although I could use my DX lenses on this body, I would lose res.

I have started with Nikon since the beginning and I am only considering this camera because, well, I have never been on the other side of the fence. However if people feel strongly that this would be the time to switch - I would consider. A photographer once said "Theres not much of a difference between manufacturers.....just shoot with the brand that a majority of yours friends shoot with so you can try their lenses". I however I don't have friends who are into photography, lol.

Now if I DO get this body - I'm gonna need new lenses. Ive never used sigma lenses before, but Ive heard good things. I'm concerned with compatibility though... here is the lens compatibility for the Nikon D3S:

1) Type G or D AF NIKKOR: All functions supported
2) DX AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except FX-format (36x24)/1:2 (30x20) image size /5:4 930x24)
3) AF NIKKOR other than type G or D*2: All functions supported except 3D Color Matrix Metering II
4) AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II
5) Non-CPU AI NIKKOR: Can be used in exposure modes A and M; electronic rangefinder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster

Is there a specific type of sigma lens I need to use with this body?

Thanks for reading!

-Geoff

that's a pretty big jump you're going for there... for functions and price.

have you ever thought of considering maybe something along the lines of a d200/d300? i dont know your experience with photography but financially, it would make the most sense for you to stay within the DX range so that you dont have to sell off all your lenses. plus, you can find these bodies used on craigslist or ebay and that in itself would already be cheaper. unless you're already making money off your photos, losing money on equipment by selling off what you have wouldnt make much sense.

if you really want an FX body then it wouldn't really matter for you if you switch brands right now because jumping from d40 to a d3x is already a big difference.

Yeah I know it is a huge jump. I have been considering starting a photography business for about two years.. I so far have two weddings under my belt, as well as portraits and other events such as baptisms and birthdays. I have a senior portrait coming up in a few weeks. So I feel like ive been gaining some experience - btw I have been borrowing a D60 for anything that was paid in order to provide larger images.

I recently decided that ive been away from cigarettes long enough to say I officially kicked the habit - my wife said with the money I have been saving by not smoking I could get camera equipment...so I was thinking about the possibility of getting a small business loan. But I need to know exactly what I want before I can apply :)

I figured if im gonna get equipment it might as well not be on the consumer end.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

To the "other side of the fence" comment, I'd say if you want to consider a jump, rent a body like a 5D MkII or a 1D MkIII (is the IV available for rent?) for a weekend and try them out. While the comment about having friends is a good one, the main difference between the manufacturers for me is ergonomics...the feel of the camera, the layout of the menu and of the buttons. I feel more comfortable with Canon over Nikon, hence why i'm with Canon.

What are you looking for in the body? Remember that lenses make a huge difference and while the body does make a difference, its not as significant as the lenses. I would consider a "lesser" (I use the term very loosely) body like a D700 or the D300 (or both, you need a backup body if you are doing events and weddings) or wait for the D700s that is rumored to come out. And with the money you save on the body, get some awesome lenses and some good speedlights.

Just throwing that out as an option, as its something I would look at doing.

The first thing a lender is likely to ask to see is your business/marketing plan and a summary of your business/marketing/sales experience, rather than your images.

NPPA: Cost of Doing Business Calculator
www.sba.gov
www.score.org

Lenses are as, if not more, important than camera bodies for producing sharp, high contrast, professional quality images, particularly in low light conditions which is very common when shooting weddings.

The D3s is extremely good in low light and has a high fps rate, but it only has a 12.1 MP image sensor. The D3x is much better for portraiture/seniors at 24.5 MP but sacrifices the stellar high ISO capability and fast fps rate of the D3s to have that many MP's.

As a business, you'll need a good backup camera body, so I'd say get one of each, and you'll need backups for all your other gear too (lenses, speedlights, light stands, reflectors, etc).

Good luck to you. Currently 95 of 100 new photography businesses fail before they reach their second anniversary, not because they lack photographic knowledge and skills, but because they lack business and marketing skills.

Do you have a legal business at this point (licensed or registered, insured for liability, collecting/forwarding state/local sales taxes if applicable, use good enforceable written contracts, maintain the required business documentation, don't co-mingle business and personal finances)? Because that will be required by a lender.

Last edited:
I really appreciate the advise. I have worked with s.c.o.r.e. before, and I was very pleased with both their small business seminar as well as the business consultant they provided me. I have considered what I feel makes me different, and not just a schmuck with a fancy digital camera:D. I love the art of photography, as well as love working with customers. My wife is also a graphics art designer, so I figured that could be a bonus.

As of now my business is not established - to date I have grossed 200.00 in profits, lol, so needless to say I havent felt as though I needed to. A good friend of mine is a lawyer and will be assisting me when the time comes.

I wont go on as im starting to veer towards posts that dont belong here, but rather the business forum.

I wish you all the best and thank you so much for the advise!

-Geoff

if you have the money, the passion and are willing to learn to use that gear, go for it! I wouldnt hesitate one second.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back