advise re: getting started with dslr

jedson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not new to photography, but am new to digital. Have a point and shoot digital. Want a DSLR that lets me decide on all the settings just like I did when I used film. My ideal would be a camera body that was inexpensive and sturdy, and had NO automatic features. Then I would want to have a set of lenses to go with it – probably a 28mm, a 75 or 100 mm, a 100 mm macro, and a 300 mm. Would be happy with used or re-furbished equipment. I want reasonable quality – sharp photos, enough pixels to work with, etc. But expense is definitely a factor. Realize that there is usually a trade—off between expense and quality. Want the cheapest way to get the job done. Any advise? Do I need to stay with Nikon or Cannon for quality? What about 3rd party lenses?

Jedson

Not new to photography, but am new to digital. Have a point and shoot digital. Want a DSLR that lets me decide on all the settings just like I did when I used film. My ideal would be a camera body that was inexpensive and sturdy, and had NO automatic features. Then I would want to have a set of lenses to go with it – probably a 28mm, a 75 or 100 mm, a 100 mm macro, and a 300 mm. Would be happy with used or re-furbished equipment. I want reasonable quality – sharp photos, enough pixels to work with, etc. But expense is definitely a factor. Realize that there is usually a trade—off between expense and quality. Want the cheapest way to get the job done. Any advise? Do I need to stay with Nikon or Cannon for quality? What about 3rd party lenses?
Jedson
Go used if you want to save money, though you assume more risk of equipment failure and it takes much more time to track down what you want, at the price you want.

Inexpensive and sturdy are contradictions in terms. With digital, sharp photo's are a function of post processing images with image editing software.

You don't have to stay with Nikon nor Canon but the vast majority of used gear out there is those brands. 3rd party lens quality will vary depending on the lens, and if used, how they were treated.

Particularly with the used market, it's "Buyer Beware".

Similar story here. 30+ years of photography but only a few months with digital.

Used to shoot Minolta and since there is no way to use my old non-AF lenses on a digital body it didn't matter. I went with a Canon D30 because the store I walked into that day was selling them for half the price of the next model up since it was discontinued.

But if you have Nikon lenses, from what I understand, they can be used on digital bodies so that is something to keep in mind. And I'm sure someone else will tell you more about that.

Digital bodies seem to be like computers. New models all the time so you can get yesterday's body at a good price. But that is definitely not the case with lenses. They seem to hold their value. And good glass is very expensive.

So, I would say, figure out whose glass you want to use and get whatever body of that brand fits your budget. Then just get a decent but affordable lens to start with (I just got a 50mm myself) and start playing with that until you decide whether you like digital or not. It is very different.

Although I will keep my DSLR for effect driven photos, I am most probably going to put some sort of darkroom together again for most of my work.

Unlike the old film days you are not going to find beginner/student bodies like the venerable Pentax K1000 in digital. All manual no feature bodies just don't sell and aren't made.

Take a look at the systems out there Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Fuji, and see which ones fit you needs the best in the price range you have set, then go to a good photography shop and do a little hands on to see what you like. While you are doing that check out the lens lines as well to see what fits your price range, not just the bodies.

You will be much more likely to be satisfied with what you end up with if you have a some knowledge and feel for the systems that only hands on can provide, than if you just take our recommendations.

Good site to compare bodies and features.
Buying Guide: Side-by-side: Digital Photography Review

Good luck.

Skywlaker -- you wrote:
But if you have Nikon lenses, from what I understand, they can be used on digital bodies so that is something to keep in mind. And I'm sure someone else will tell you more about that.
It never occurred to me that a digital camera could use the old non-digital lenses. I also use Minolta. I think Minolta makes digital cameras. If I could put my old lenses on them, all my problems would be solved. Do you know anything about this?

jedson

Skywlaker -- you wrote:
It never occurred to me that a digital camera could use the old non-digital lenses. I also use Minolta. I think Minolta makes digital cameras. If I could put my old lenses on them, all my problems would be solved. Do you know anything about this?

jedson

Minolta is out of the camera business. Sony bought them out but I believe that old Minolta glass is compatible with the Sony Bodies.

Minolta auto-focus lenses from the Maxxum days are compatible with current Sony α-series DSLRs.

Skywlaker -- you wrote:

jedson

The only Minolta lenses that are compatible with digital bodies from whatever brand took over Minolta (Sony? really? sorry guys I'm getting older and some things just don't stick to my brain anymore) are the AF (Auto Focus) ones. Minolta doesn't exist anymore. At least in photography.

I have read a few things about adapters or conversions of Minolta lenses to fit Canon digital bodies. Since I have some very nice lenses I loved that idea but I haven't found anything 100% sure yet and when I asked my local camera repair shop about it, they just laughed at me...

On the positive side, Minolta made some amazing lenses (including some for Leica) and I've just seen my 250mm mirror go for a little over $800. on ebay. If you have good Minolta lenses it is worth doing a little research on their value before selling them.

But if you figure out the Minolta lens on Canon DSLR body thing, let me know. I would love to keep some of my lenses.

Unlike the old film days you are not going to find beginner/student bodies like the venerable Pentax K1000 in digital. All manual no feature bodies just don't sell and aren't made.
Ai"nt that a fact. All of the new cameras give you some control in the Manual mode but, it isnt manual truly. Also the lower line bodies are all plastic you need to go Prosumer for the better built bodies. The Nikon D200/300 have magnesium bodies and, Im not sure which Canon bodies are metal. I kind of miss manual cameras but, if I miss it enough I can always break out my Pextax MX to get my fix.

Looked around and found a Minolta to Canon EOS adapter at Amazon, so they make them, or at least did make them. They were out. List price was about $80. See here: < Amazon.com: Minolta MD lens to Canon EOS EF body mount adapter: Camera & Photo > Reports about using this kind of thing are mixed. I ran into lots of reservations about whether it is worth it. As far as I could tell the main draw backs were that you could not set the lens to infinity, and could not use auto-focus. Some did feel it did work OK for Macro. If one were wanting to hand focus anyhow, this might be useful in some situations. I don't know. Also I don't know how hard it might be to actually get such an adapter. Also I ran into lots of desptions about making your own 35mm to canon adapters, but they looked like more than I could get into at this point.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, $80 is not bad if you have a few lenses to use with it and having to manually focus doesn't really bother me. I'm so not used to have auto-focus that I still manually focus most of what I shoot with my D30 :lol:

The problem is finding one you can actually buy. I have basically given up on this idea and my 35mm bodies and lenses will soon be on e-bay.

Cloudwalker --
I went ahead and made a gadget that enables me to use Minolta lenses with a digital Canon camera. I put my first test of the system up just to prove it works. Now, whether it will enable me to use those lenses in a productive way remains to be seen. You can only use manual settings, and can't get an infinity setting. I'm not pushing this, but making the device was very easy and cost nothing. If you are interested, let me know. Left this message here in case anyone else has an interest in it.

jedson

Jim

Cloudwalker --
I went ahead and made a gadget that enables me to use Minolta lenses with a digital Canon camera. I put my first test of the system up just to prove it works. Now, whether it will enable me to use those lenses in a productive way remains to be seen. You can only use manual settings, and can't get an infinity setting. I'm not pushing this, but making the device was very easy and cost nothing. If you are interested, let me know. Left this message here in case anyone else has an interest in it.

jedson

Jim

So, does that mean you got yourself a Canon body?

I will PM you. Thanks.

Most reactions

Back