Advise request for SLR

Madmanmonk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all

A new guy here.

I need to find myself a new camera, and I'm really at a loss for what would be best for me.

I've got a Traveler 8MP thingy which makes good pics for my standards, but it's very slow to work with.

I've also got a Coolpics 5700, which also does the job, but it's also slow.

Recently toyed with a Pentax digital SLR (110) I think it was, and that was such a world of difference!!!

Those go for about 300 USD nowadays, which is roughly my budget, but cheaper is better and that one might be too advanced for me anyway.

I need the camera for taking pics of my work (I'm a tailor) and as a hobby I like to shoot landscapes and people.

What I need in a camera:

SLR
Shoe for external flash
Zoom by turning the ring on the lens, as opposed to motorized

Optional:
moveable display (the one that flips out)
AAA batteries

Would anybody be able to advise?

Thanks in advance.

Your budget is very low for that type of camera, unless you go with 2-3 generations older cameras.

I'm not aware of P&S cameras under $300 that have a hotshoe flash mount. Most P&S cameras have motorized zooms, so if you are looking for manual turn ring zooms then you are looking at dSLRs, and when you get into dSLRs, while you can get a cheap body, the bigger investment that will make a bigger difference in the image quality are the lenses.

I've seen some Canon XTIs on Craigslist for $300. They are older cameras, but in your budget. Its Canons entry level dSLRs line, the Rebel. The T2i is the current generation, T1i before that, XSI before that and XTI before that. That $300 was without a lens

I've also seen Nikon D40 for $350.

Thanks for the reply.

P&S - does that mean point&shoot?

I'm not sure I'd like to buy a used camera... too fragile and who knows etc...

A friend recommended a canon 450, what about that?

You don't think the Pentax would be a very good choice?

you dont wanna buy a used camera, and yet you have a very low budget..

Buy used!! When the d200 came out, it was a wonderful camera, and rather expensive. I just got mine a few months ago for cheap, and i LOVE IT!

The Canon EOS 450D is known as the Rebel XSi in the U.S. It's a very capable consumer DSLR camera, but it's well outside your price range, unless you get a very good deal on used equipment.

Last edited:
The new olympus pen has caught my attention. It has interchangeable lenses and shoots HD video.

Hmmm... so you guys wouldn't worry about the previous owner being careless etc?

You can buy used from some online sites such as Adorama. They have used and refurbished (sp?) cameras. Do you know anyone who is into photography? Bring them along to inspect the camera. Have a lens handy to try out the auto-focusing to ensure it works.

I prefer to buy new, but really, for your budget, I dont think you have much of a choice.

Pentax is a fine brand, as are Olympus and Sony. However, compared to the big two Nikon and Canon, the first three dont have as wide of a selection of lenses and such, specially at the pro level. But if all you want is a camera to play with for every day use, and do the occasional portrait or party, then either of the 5 can work.

About 90% of my photography gears (cameras, lenses flashes ...) are bought used. And they all seems fine so far. (Some of them I owned for about 1 to 2 years)

If you do not know too much about camera gears, buying used maybe a little bit hard since you may not know what to look for. However, as mentioned, some stores offer some warranties for the used or refurbished gears you bought from them. It could be store or manufacturer warranties.

As for your budget, around US$300, it is going to be a little tough to get a new DSLR. Most likely it is going to be used or refurbished. Canon USA has a "Loyalty program" that allow certain old broken cameras to trade up for a refurbished Canon camera. i.e. I had a broken film based Rebel K2, and they said it can be traded for a Rebel XS kit for $365. Not sure if Canon in your area has a similar program.

Hey, thanks guys. So I guess I'll go for either a D40 or a 450, used. If pro's use used machines, it should be fine for me as well.

Hello again

I remembered that I have an old vivitar series one macro/zoom lens.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
dscn5146.jpg

I've put it on the digital Pentax that I mentioned, and er, well it fits. It's got the same electric contacts and all. I couldn't test it because the Pentax is broken.

My question is: Can this lens be put on any modern body? If so, I could buy a body without a lens and save a lot of money, right? Right??? :confused:

Hello again

I remembered that I have an old vivitar series one macro/zoom lens.

http://img375.imageshack.us/i/dscn5146.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
dscn5146.jpg

I've put it on the digital Pentax that I mentioned, and er, well it fits. It's got the same electric contacts and all. I couldn't test it because the Pentax is broken.

My question is: Can this lens be put on any modern body? If so, I could buy a body without a lens and save a lot of money, right? Right??? :confused:

It can only be mounted on whatever brand it was made for...guessing pentax...there may be adapters for other makes but not worth it.

Back to your original question.....if cheap with good quality is what you want...D40 is the deal for you....you could get a D40 kit used for the 300 range (seen body only on B&H used section for about $240).

If you want a lower priced DSLR that has HD Video and a swivel screen...among all the other options you listed, a Nikon D5000 might be your ticket. These can be had for $509 right now for a refurb through B&H Photo and to my knowledge, the D5000 is the only DSLR that has a swivel screen....if that's something important to you, it might be worth a look.

Pentax DSLRs are backwards compatible with all K-mount lenses. The linkage that engages the K-mount lens' diaphragm to auto stop down the lens is present in modern Pentax DSLRs. Furthermore.. Pentax-A K-mount lenses which have the "A" setting on the aperture ring to allow the camera body control over the lens' aperture setting are also fully functional on modern Pentax DLSRs (of course without Autofocus).

Older Takumar M42 lenses are also compatible with an M42 to Kmount adapter. With these lenses, neither auto stop down nor aperture control are functional.

I purchased a bargain Samsung GX-1L which is a Pentax *ist rebrand a while back. Some settings had to be set prior to using it with my old screwmounts and Kmount lenses. I posted it a while back and this an old camera so the menus and settings might have changed... but it still might help:

"* All my old lenses work Both K and KA even though the camera sepecifically mentions only KA and KAF. There are few settings that got the manual k-mounts without the "A" setting on the aperture work. 1) "AE-L on M expr" needs to be set to 2 to allow the "AE-L" button function as the stop-down metering in aperture priority. 2) "Use Aperture ring" has to be set to 2 to allow you to use lenses even though they are not set in the "A" setting. 3) Move the switch from "AF" to "M" or else the camera will try to focus prior to letting you trip the shutter. 4) The camera has to be set to full "M" manual mode. Once you set 1 and 2, you can leave it that way even though you switching between AF lenses and Manual K-mounts. Once all set, you basically focus, set your aperture via the lens ring, hit AE-L (stops down and sets shutter), and then press the shutter. Works pretty seemlessly. I got a kick out of mounting my older screw mount M42 lenses too."

These lenses are also adaptable to other cameras as well.. but as most people realized, it usually isn't worth it.

Of course I will recommend my own: Canon 450D (or the Rebel XSi. Didn't they were one and the same... )
It is a good camera, which gives great pictures. It is compatible with lenses other then Canon, like Tamron (which might not be the best, but aren't punching holes in your budget).
I have the kit lens (18 -55) with a Tamron 55-200. When I have found the pot of gold or a money tree, I will update. But for now its a great combination!

Most reactions

Back