AE-AF Lock Button - Odd Location?

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is it just me or is the AE-AF Lock button an awkward thing to use?

I'm assuming I'm doing it the right way by using my thumb, but it's kind of uncomfortable and I feel like a mini contortionist trying to take a photo sometimes.

Would be nice if I could assign this to the FUNC button or 'OK' button instead.

Anyone else? (I hope) :lol:

PS
I'm a Nikon shooter (D90) but it seems that the location of this button is universal for Nikon and Canon at least.

Last edited:
I use the AF-ON button on the back to focus instead of the shutter release button. It just next to it, so no, I don't have an issue with the location of the AE-AF button.

The D300 & D700 can have the AE-AF lock assigned to the FUNC button.

What camera are you using? I am using Canon 450D and it's really awkward for me to use the AE lock button. It's position is really too odd for me. It gives me very little time to press the AE lock button after I set the AE point to the part of my subject.
It would be better if there is an alternative way to assign some other button as the AE lock one.

Ya, the one on the D60 is not placed well, at least for my hands. If I'm holding the release (for instance if I'm on A or S and metering off my subject) and try to hit the lock my fingers are in an uncomfortable position. I'd love to see in under my middle finger on my right hand on the front of the camera or something.

:lol: I have a Sony100, and i was just saying to my husband this morning that to use some of these functions\buttons a person would have to be an octopus!

My thumb rests naturally on it. I find it rather easy to use it. I have it set for AE-Hold.

I guess for me my thumb gets in the way of my eye... Now if the 'hold' woud release after the photo is taken that would be cool, but it doesn't.

menu>custom setting>C1...

Turn it to on.

This allows you to AE-L with the shutter "half" switch.

Yeah, I did that too and use it most often but then it focuses too... if I want to meter a different area than the object I'm focusing on that's when I use the AE-Lock.

And if I use the AF-ON feature it disables the shutter focus.

Catch-22 I guess...

If I could assign the OK or FUNC button to AE-Lock I'd be happy... maybe a firmware tweak :D

I suppose I could stop whining and get used to it, but what's the fun in that?

Last edited:
I'm shooting a 450D like Pband, but for me it's placed (almost) perfectly. It was one of the things I considered when buying a camera. What it's set to is entirely dependant on shooting conditions for me though. Candids, I let the camera loose with all AF points (it works most of the time; if it doesn't I go to MF), and AE in Av, both AE and AF are a half-press of the shutter release. For portraits, they're separate, and I spot meter, so I do a centre-recompose thing twice for the shot. Low-light, I've got a flash going, so that button is my FEL button, shoot on M, so the half-press only gives me AF (I basically ignore the light meter and just play it by the histo).

The one on my d300 is perfect for me
Troy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back