AE Lock - do you use it?

I shoot Canon, and I can set the exposure lock and AF to a variety of buttons via custom functions (I suspect Nikons can too). I keep my exposure lock on the shutter release (1/2 press), and have mapped the AF to the old exposure lock button on the back of the camera. It works great for me, except when I pick up a DSLR that's on the factory defaults. ;)

i do this too.... disable the autofocus on half shutter and assign is to AE/AF lock instead...

I have mine set for the have shutter push as well sometimes. Other wise I have the AE button set to lock when it's depressed once and either unlock when the shot is taken or when the AE button is depressed a second time.

Yea, the manual for the D700 is so vague with alot of things. I usually use my AF-On button to focus and not the shutter release. I should have been more specific, but yea, if I'm in Manual, it will lock. But if I'm shooting in Aperture mode, push the AE button, then move back to take the shot...the exposure changes. There must be a way to set that button to lock WITHOUT holding it down the whole time, as I can hold it down and the AF-on button at the same time.

Thanks!
Robin

I am still trying to figure out the exact use for me of AE-Lock. And if i say AE Lock i mean the one that "meters the exposure on the subject and locks that", then compose the shot and it uses those settings.

Usually I kind of forget to experiment with it, and sometimes I do use it and results vary minimally.

I guess I'll have to look it up once again :)

Ohw, and then there's this new AF lock as well on my 40d. Too many buttons! I like it :)

Just to be pedantic, I have 50 cameras here, and only five have AE lock. :D

To answer the question, yes, I use AE lock all the time.

but only on five out of fifty:lmao::lmao::lmao:, I use it constantly too on five of my six tools, the other is a 60's MF full manual bronica which has to be set using a hand meter, so really its locked as well. H

I have never used it on my 40D, but since I got it and started picking up photography I have only used full manual mode. You take a lot of crappy pictures at first, but you sure learn about shutter and aperture in a hurry when you have to set it all yourself every time.

I rarely use it. In situations where one would want to use it, I usually just switch to manual mode.

I have reconfigured mine to emit a tachyon particle beam that disrupts planet-side communications.

I have reconfigured mine to emit a tachyon particle beam that disrupts planet-side communications.
So you're the one that's responsible for my crappy cell phone signal... :raisedbrow:

Haha Josh, that emoticon is well placed.

Anyway, I don't use AE lock. I'd rather flick the thumbwheel once to vary the Exposure compensation than move my camera all around trying to lock exposure on something. It's kind of a hassle, in my dubious opinion.

Does anyone use the AE Lock button? I have the Nikon D700 and am trying to experiment with using this button.

So if I go up to my subject and meter of the face, push that button, it should stay locked at that exposure, right?

Robin

http://www.robinlongphotography.com/blog
What Ann says! Hold the AEL button until exposure. This is a must for bright backgrounds, and if you're not using flash for fill. If you're metering on the face, you should use spot metering.

Just to be pedantic, I have 50 cameras here, and only five have AE lock. :D

To answer the question, yes, I use AE lock all the time.

What are all of your cameras? Andwhat do you do?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back