AF-S on a NIKON body with AF motor

Correct for all 'baby Nikons'.

D40, D60, D3000 and D5000.

Don't forget D40X.

Even if AF lens will not autofocus on the "baby Nikons' " there is a green light inside viewfinder that will come on when camera sees an in focus condition.

You will have to manually focus the shot, but the camera will tell you when you have done that.

I believe that to be correct for all of the "baby Nikons' "
Only if the AF lens has the "D" (distance) designation, which means it can convey distance info to the CPU in the body. (AF 50 mm f/1.8D) (AF 24-85 mm f/2.8-4D)

Not all AF lenses have the D designation.

What about AF-S lenses, that do not have the "D" but will give the green light to show in focus?

I thought you could use a AF Nikkor (non-D) 50mm and get a green light when the shot was in focus?

I thought you could even use an old vintage MF lens (like an old 50mm) and get a green light when the shot was in focus?

Like I said in a post the other day, have been shooting for 40 years, and still learn something every day.

Just to correct a bit of misinformation: ALL F-mount lenses with a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or larger (like f/4, f/2.8,etc) will show the "Green Dot" when the camera's phase detection autofocus module determines that the lens is in focus under an active AF point. This goes way back to the oldest autofocusing Nikon's that I am familiar with, the 8008 and then later the N90. The "Green Dot" is called the focus confirmation light, and it works with manual focus Nikon lenses,and it also will work with adapted lenses. I JUST tried a 1967 Pentax 135mm f/3.5 Super-Takumar on an adapter on my Nikon D70,and the green dot AF confirmation worked down to f/9.5 in dim,indoor lighting. Same with a 55mm f/3.5 pre-AI on an extension tube.

The AF Nikkor lenses, the earliest AF Nikon lenses: ALL AF Nikkors will show the green dot when the focus is correct. The AF-D lenses supply the camera with Distance information in the light metering, flash metering, and autofocusing processes.

All AF-S Nikkors are D-sensing, according to a west coast Nikon rep I used to know. All of the G-mount Nikkors have a D-sensing feature. Basically ANY lens fitted to an Autofocusing Nikon body will provide Green Dot focusing confirmation, as long as the light transmitted by the lens is f/5.6 or greater--and that is the guaranteed level; in real-world use, smaller apertures will also work. Green Dot focus confirmation works with manual focusing lenses, AF, AF-D, AF-i,AF-S, AF-S G, the select few screwdriver G series lenses, and the Ai-S P series lenses like the 500mm f/4-P and the cute little 45-P.

Even if AF lens will not autofocus on the "baby Nikons' " there is a green light inside viewfinder that will come on when camera sees an in focus condition...

Only if the AF lens has the "D" (distance) designation, ...

Nope, according to all of the compatibility tables that Nikon publishes, the "D" class AF lenses (all current "G" lenses are also "D" lenses) are not required in order for the electronic rangefinder to function. The distance information is not used for any focusing function. In fact, Nikon's AF systems still function in the electronic rangefinder mode (often called "focus confirmation" by other brands) without any electronic interface with the lens. Many other brands do require an electronic data connection to the lens for their focus confirmation system to function; which is why you often see lenses adapters for those systems exist in two versions, one with a chip for focus confirmation and one without.

It is used only for the more elaborate "3D Matrix Metering" function. Without the distance data from an AF-D or AF-G lens, the metering falls back to a simpler "10 Segment Matrix Metering".

Most reactions

Back