Affordable lens recommendations?

I did a quick check of my Flickr. These were taken with the Tamron 70-300 VC. Hope this helps.

Wildlife

[

Wild life

I use AF. But sometime i want a shot out of focus to a certain extent. Hope that makes sense

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
I think I understand. Which is exactly why I prefer manual, cause it gives me full control. But maybe that's just a lifetime of use of autofocusing cameras that never could never focus on what I wanted talking, haha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When you say auto focus are you referring to single point AF or Auto letting the camera choose your focus point? Single point AF for wildlife has got to be better than manual focus.

I use AF. But sometime i want a shot out of focus to a certain extent. Hope that makes sense

I think I understand. Which is exactly why I prefer manual, cause it gives me full control. But maybe that's just a lifetime of use of autofocusing cameras that never could never focus on what I wanted talking, haha

When you say auto focus are you referring to single point AF or Auto letting the camera choose your focus point? Single point AF for wildlife has got to be better than manual focus.
Single point. I've always wonder what AF was like on high end cameras. On my d3200 its funny because it chooses exactly what i dont want to focus on lol!

Single point. I've always wonder what AF was like on high end cameras. On my d3200 its funny because it chooses exactly what i dont want to focus on lol!

If you’re using single point, then you are choosing what it focuses on. If your final result has a different focus point than what you chose in Camera then your camera maybe back focusing our front focusing and may need to be adjusted.

IMHO, I concur with the others.
USE your lenses till you clearly identify a need that they will not fill. Then you can make a better decision to determine if you need to buy a lens to fit that need or not.
That's what I'm doing.

In the meantime I'm reading about lenses I might want to fill the needs I perceive I (will) have, and making a list--incl. what new and used prices are running, links to reviews, etc. That way: When and if the time comes, I'll have already laid most of the groundwork.

For your AF problem:
  • Use Program mode exposure. Then you can select where to focus on.
  • Auto uses "closest subject" logic, and you have no control over what the camera focuses on.
  • Group/area/zone focus is similar, the camera chooses what to focus on in that zone. I forget how Nikon works (since I don't use it). Canon uses closest subject logic.
  • I use single point, center point AF.

Ill second the 35mm F1.8. Its one of the cheapest lenses nikon makes and one of my favorites. I also have the D3300.

One thing that often goes over looked by new comers is that Nikons (D3300) will accept any F-Mount lens ever made. So that means basically every lens they have made since the late 50's. The only catch is that you need to run in full manual mode (not a problem once you get used to it). With this in mind you can grab some of the old macro lenses cheaper than a new one and they will work just fine. A great deal of info can be found here and you can find compatibility info here. Great deals can be had on Ebay and flea markets if you are willing to hunt a bit.

Ill second the 35mm F1.8. Its one of the cheapest lenses nikon makes and one of my favorites. I also have the D3300.

One thing that often goes over looked by new comers is that Nikons (D3300) will accept any F-Mount lens ever made. So that means basically every lens they have made since the late 50's. The only catch is that you need to run in full manual mode (not a problem once you get used to it). With this in mind you can grab some of the old macro lenses cheaper than a new one and they will work just fine. A great deal of info can be found here and you can find compatibility info here. Great deals can be had on Ebay and flea markets if you are willing to hunt a bit.

Oh, I didn't realize that! I thought all those lenses were a different mount. (Can't remember what letter) I can manage full manual mode, I just have to take a bit more time. It's good practice and for such a deep discount (I've seen ridiculously cheap older lenses) that's definitely something I'm going to look into. Thank you for the links as well.

Oh, I didn't realize that! I thought all those lenses were a different mount. (Can't remember what letter) I can manage full manual mode, I just have to take a bit more time. It's good practice and for such a deep discount (I've seen ridiculously cheap older lenses) that's definitely something I'm going to look into. Thank you for the links as well.

The mount itself is the same F mount from the 1950s.
The problem is the lens/meter coupling mechanism has changed over the years from mechanical (ears) to mechanical (AI), to electronic.
And mechanical screw drive AF to electronic AF. The 3xxx series cameras cannot AF the mechanical AF lenses.

BIG caution, it is not as simple as mentioned.
There are some specialized lenses that project into the mirror box and require that the mirror be raised. These cannot be used unless your camera has a mirror lift function. Or you will crack the mirror when installing the lens.
So study the compatibility chart.

Manual Focus works for some thing, like macro, but does not work well for other things, like sport and following fast moving kids. dslrs do not have a screen that is easy to manual focus.

The mount itself is the same F mount from the 1950s.
The problem is the lens/meter coupling mechanism has changed over the years from mechanical (ears) to mechanical (AI), to electronic.
And mechanical screw drive AF to electronic AF. The 3xxx series cameras cannot AF the mechanical AF lenses.

BIG caution, it is not as simple as mentioned.
There are some specialized lenses that project into the mirror box and require that the mirror be raised. These cannot be used unless your camera has a mirror lift function. Or you will crack the mirror when installing the lens.
So study the compatibility chart.

Manual Focus works for some thing, like macro, but does not work well for other things, like sport and following fast moving kids. dslrs do not have a screen that is easy to manual focus.
A nice summary that covers all the points I was going to add to your earlier post.
The one failing of Nikons f-mount is when you come to try using lenses from other cameras. Practically none work for distant subjects without additional optics. Most other mounts are capable of using adapted lenses from at least a few other mounts - Canons EF mount being one of the most adaptable being able to use M42, OM, PK, F... lenses (but not Canon's earlier FD range).

Mirrorless cameras have opened new realms in the field of adapting lenses. Most mirrorless cameras can use all 35mm SLR lenses, & most rangefinder lenses via reasonably affordable adapters. Some can even use cine lenses. There's even an adapter now that gives AF with MF lenses! I suspect more of this sort will be making an appearance shortly :)

Don’t forget the adapters that give you a FF view on a crop sensor like the Lens Turbo ll...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back