affordable lenses for Nikon D40..?

mark_c121070

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have recently bought a Nikon D40 and it comes with the standard 18-55mm kit lens but I would like to get a lens with a higher zoom - around the range of the Nikkor 18-200mm - but not as expensive... Any suggestions? Maybe second hand lenses? Not sure if that is a good idea or not...
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Do you want an all-in-one super-zoom lens to use in place of your kit lens, or are you looking for a telephoto zoom lens to complement the range of your kit lens?

Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR

I don't think there is anything cheaper than this lens in this range. I have and like it.

I am looking for an all in one lens. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the reply... I checked a couple reviews on this lens and it got an OK review. The only real issue seems to be in low light scenarios. Will keep this lens in mind.

I am looking for an all in one lens. Any suggestions?
Don't!

All-in-one lenses are also known a super zooms, and have to be designed with many technical compromises. They are in effect jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none, lenses.

Nikon's 18-200 mm super zoom is likely their current worst lens value from an image quality perspective.

It has very complex, virtually unfixable, barrel distortion at 18 mm that doesn't go away completely till the lens is zoomed to 35 mm, when pincushion distortion takes over. The focus starts getting soft at about 180 mm and it gets softer as you approach 200 mm. Basically the lens is only decent from 35 mm to 180 mm.

However, from strictly a convienience, don't need to change lenses perspective, it certainly fits the bill. As do less expensive super zooms from Sigma and Tamron.

I would stick with the 18-55 and add the already suggested, affordable, 55-200mm, and then practice changing lenses.

Last edited:
Thanks KMH... Think I will do as you suggested... Seems like that is what many of the reviews also say about the lenses. Since this is my first DSLR, I will follow the advise of those, like yourself, with greater experience and knowledge. Thanks again to all who responded to my question.
Best regards to you and your family / families.

Most reactions

Back