Affordable Tripod and Ballhead

theusher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Right now, I have my tripod from my S3IS which is a Manfrotto Modo. My D80 with the battery grip is too heavy for it, and won't stay upright in portrait mode. :( I know it's not meant for using with DSLR's, so I'm not surprised.

I really don't have much cash to spend, I wanted to keep the legs and head to a total of $200, less if possible at all. So no carbon fiber for me. :er:

I was looking at these 2 things;
Manfrotto 3011BN Tripod Legs ($100ish)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=216450&is=REG

Manfrotto 486RC2 ($65ish)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...w=BO486RC2&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=272449

I'd love to hear other suggestions or reviews if you've used either one.

ever look at the amvona tripods on ebay.
I have one and it is GREAT!! Very sturdy and heavy duty.also has a pistol grip ballhead.Got it for 75.00 USD

have a look at giottos. not as well known as manfrotto, but fairly ok

i got one with a manfrotto ballhead (the larger one, I think the one you thought of) . and it perfectly holds my heavy 300mm telephoto.

I have 2 tripods. A REALLY crappy sunpak POS, and a large format tripod. I never use them, i hate tripods actually. I think they're limiting, but there are times when a tripod is mandatory and they defiantly have their place.

I think they're limiting, but there are times when a tripod is mandatory and they defiantly have their place.

They are limiting your mobility, but they are extending your possibilities. ;)

I have the 3001BN Manfrotto tripod and the same ball head you are looking at. I am very happy with it. It is a little on the heavy side but it is extremely stable and the tripod and head are very versatile and easy to use. You should be able to get them in a package at B&H for about $150ish.

That's something I like about the Modo is it's pretty light and compact. I would mostly use it for nightshots and the like. Dragging it around on vacation at night will suck, but it's worth it to shoot in portrait...LOL.

Where on BH can you get a combo deal? I couldn't find that.

Went with the Manfrotto 486RC2, and the Manfrotto 190XB Legs. Excellent service from B&H as usual. Thus far I really like the setup.

Check out amvona.com on ebay. I have their AT-828, got it for $53 plus shipping. It is a bit heavy but very stable. I would recommend them.

**nevermind, I failed to read your post above before I posted that**

I have the same (or similar) legs and I am very happy with them just one thing to consider is this is a very heavy combination and will not travel well. Also I am not a big fan of ball heads but that is just me they just don't seem very stable to me.

As far as a head goes, I use the 3265 Manfrotto Grip Action Ballhead and that thing is awesome. I too have a D80 with the battery grip and the 3265 holds it up just fine. I was a little worried because the standard XYZ style heads can hold three times the weight of the Ball Action, but the 3265 can hold it just fine. I use the 3021 BPRO legs.

Most reactions

Back