Affordable zoom lens - Nikon

I don't plan on using the 610 that's "hers" :adoration:. I'll do some googling for a 55-300 and see what I come up with. Where do people prefer to buy used lenses? From a store, or from adds on craigslist etc..

used or new lenses
KEH.com
adorama.com
bhphotovideo.com

people use eBay
Craigslist

a local camera store to buy used.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I guess it's wise to stay away from the 70-300. Astro said he had issues with his. I use the 55-300 and it works good.

Not the same lens,No VR Vibration reduction and thats why it is significantly cheaper.

I have the 70-300mm VR version. This lens will work on both FX and DX. Great for the kids out playing sports in the daytime. I've used it to take some shots in churches and other indoor events. It does need better light than an f/2.8 lens requires, but at under $500 and for the size it is a nice carry around lens.

The basic 70-300 and the IF-ED with VR are NOT comparable!

I have the ED VR lens and it's a great value. Yeah, you can buy two copies of the other lens for the money, but the other lens isn't worth having.

or the 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 VR can be find uses for cheap.
Another vote for the Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR, used to own this lens, very sharp, not big and will work well on both the D3100 and D610, get it used, there are plenty of these lenses out there, you can get it around 300$ used.
Bought mine used and sold it for about same price.

The Op did mention primarily wildlife, so recommended anything short of 300mm is not really a great option.I would would look for a second hand Nikon 70-300VR or Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC USD Both FX - DX compatible.There is really some very clean and minty used gear around like from some reputable places like B&H Photo, KEH. etc. Also there condition ratings generally are pretty accurate and they stand behind what they sell and usually have a warranty such as 90 days.

or the 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 VR can be find uses for cheap.
Another vote for the Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR, used to own this lens, very sharp, not big and will work well on both the D3100 and D610, get it used, there are plenty of these lenses out there, you can get it around 300$ used.
Bought mine used and sold it for about same price.
OP already owns that lens. See post # 11

Before offering advice on a lens I have to ask what "wildlife" means to you. All wildlife is not created equally.

For me it is cougars, bears, generally black bears, some grizzly, bison, eagles, and elk in New Mexico. When shooting most of these species I don't go out without at least 400mm on my camera body. If you are filling a view finder with a black bear with anything less than 400mm on your camera, you are offering yourself as the entree for the wildlife buffet.

A big portion of shooting wildlife is knowing, and understanding what you are shooting. It also defines you needs for lenses.

Nah! just put on one of these and your good to go but you might have to offer up some foreplay.:eyebrows:
Bear Costume | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back