Afraid to shoot in RAW...

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need help :(

I am REALLY afraid to shoot in RAW... I tried it once... and I couldn't find the raw file to edit it... then I couldn't figure out what the best file format was to save it as since I know that JPEG can sometimes mess things up... Also, I didn't really notice that much of a difference between the original jpeg and the raw version of the picture either...

Can anyone give me like a step by step on shooting in RAW? Like as far as what to save it as to upload online, what the main things are that need to be adjusted in PP on RAW files... All that good stuff :)

I would like to get over this fear as I get more serious with photography... I'm doing some "free" work for friends and their children right now and selling prints if they want them. Once I have my portfolio built up a bit, then I plan on going further with it...

Now, before anyone says anything about the whole doing it for money thing with me still being a beginner, feel free to check out my facebook page :) (And fan it please! I need all the fans I can get! lol)

Seconds In Time Photography Photos | Facebook

Anywho - thanks for any tips on the RAW thing :)

First of all, there are plenty of topics regarding shooting in RAW and what RAW is that could be found by searching the forum. Some of your initial questions: Once you're done editing the RAW, you then save/export it as a JPG for display, print, etc. If you didn't notice any difference between your JPGs and your RAWs, you were almost certainly seeing a JPG thumbnail/preview of the RAW and not the RAW itself. Otherwise, unedited, it would have looked completely flat and pretty crappy, to be honest.

RAW just offers more flexibility. Just make sure you have the right plugins for what ever software you use. It's pretty strait forward, find files on SD card -> download-> edit -> save as jpg

The real problem is understanding that you’re not working in PP. You’re working with what is essentially a digital negative. What you can do to make this simpler is to play with .jpeg images on your camera with both the supplied software and with PP if you have it. (PP now supports almost all RAW formats). Once you understand the basics, it’ll all come together. Plus, as mentioned above you do have way more flexibility.

My advice is to look into Adobe Lightroom. It can make your workflow so much easier.

These are my most important factors:

Set the camera to shoot in both RAW and JPEG at the same time. The JPG will show you how close you are to the results you are aiming for. If you're close to the desired results, you will be happy to keep on working with the RAW file as it gives you a lot more options in post processing.

Software! Make sure you are using good, capable RAW software. You're fine if you are using any Adobe product, I can't speak for any other products but there are several free programs out there as well.

Once I transfer your RAW images into your image editing software I ALWAYS edit my images in 16-bit instead of the common 8-bit when working with JPGs. 16-bit gives you better gradient results (like skies) and also is less destructive when making major color and brightness adjustments.

Everything else is research and trial and error!

Best of luck! You will love RAW editing!

Jeffie, I echo Big Mike with regards to using Lightroom. You can download a free 30 day trial through Photoshop.com. It will upload your RAW pics directly and once you're done doing your thing, you can save them as jpeg.

Lastly, I was in the same boat as you...afraid of the unknowing but I've been going RAW and Manual for a few weeks and it's a piece of cake.

P.S. I've used a few Lightroom tutorials on YouTube for technique.

You're at like a 7, we need you at probably a 3.

How it works, by me:

-Shoot in raw
-Import into Lightroom with your custom settings and organization settings in place
-If you have multiple images with the same lighting, edit one then copy those settings and apply them to the others
-If you need more drastic editing, right click- edit in PS
-Then export the photos to wherever

PIA way
-Open each photo in PSE (making sure you have the most up to date ACR plug in (found on Adobes site).
-Edit them individually then same as tiff or Jpeg

Your camera should also be able to convert them.

These are my most important factors:

Set the camera to shoot in both RAW and JPEG at the same time. The JPG will show you how close you are to the results you are aiming for. If you're close to the desired results, you will be happy to keep on working with the RAW file as it gives you a lot more options in post processing.

Once I transfer your RAW images into your image editing software I ALWAYS edit my images in 16-bit instead of the common 8-bit when working with JPGs. 16-bit gives you better gradient results (like skies) and also is less destructive when making major color and brightness adjustments.

Everything else is research and trial and error!

Best of luck! You will love RAW editing!

I agree, use both the raw and jpeg while you get use to the raw work. Like anything else, in no time you will become more comfortable.

You're at like a 7, we need you at probably a 3.

How it works, by me:

-Shoot in raw
-Import into Lightroom with your custom settings and organization settings in place
-If you have multiple images with the same lighting, edit one then copy those settings and apply them to the others
-If you need more drastic editing, right click- edit in PS
-Then export the photos to wherever

PIA way
-Open each photo in PSE (making sure you have the most up to date ACR plug in (found on Adobes site).
-Edit them individually then same as tiff or Jpeg

I am surprised that no one else mentioned saving them as tiff.

I am surprised that no one else mentioned saving them as tiff.

All of my real editing I do with them still as RAW. I very rarely need to convert to tiff. For print and web purposes, I export as JPG. Tiff files are huge (filesize) and I see no need to keep copies of the same photo in RAW, tiff and possibly still JPG.

My advice is to look into Adobe Lightroom. It can make your workflow so much easier.
:thumbup:

I am a total noob and Lightroom just makes sense / works. I love it!

To learn I just used the presets and paid attention to what individual sliders would move to understand what they each do...and then I just took it from there. There are also some great tutorials at lightroomlab.com

Most reactions

Back