Africa

jaree2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was fortunate enough to be able to make a trip to Africa this summer (Malawi, an Ebola-free region currently) - some of you might remember me from my equipment questions - a mighty thanks to all of you who offered their experience and helpful advice.

Because a trip to Africa is a great excuse to upgrade a camera - I purchased a 70D in preparation and rented a Canon EF 100-400mm zoom lens.

In short, the trip was absolutely incredible - my wife and I were able to rent a car and cover most of the country and southeastern Zambia in about 3 weeks. I hope that everyone gets an opportunity to make a similar trip in their lifetime - Africa is simply spectacular. Here is a few photos from the trip, I was incredibly happy with most of the results even though it was difficult to sort through ~2,000 photos after returning. Thanks so much for looking!

Malachite Kingfisher, Liwonde NP
Africa (340) by jareese219, on Flickr

Nile Crocodile, Liwonde NP
Africa (370) by jareese219, on Flickr

Lake Malawi
Africa (246) by jareese219, on Flickr

Highlight of the trip - and my "near miss" photo - it became very apparent that every photo taken in Africa will contain a blade of grass or inconsiderate stick covering a part of your subject
Africa (217) by jareese219, on Flickr

Sundown
Africa (143) by jareese219, on Flickr

Lion Closeup At Sunrise by jareese219, on Flickr

Thanks again for looking, mostly just wanted to share - but always open to constructive criticism to help me improve, so feel free to comment on anything obvious.

Jack

Last edited:
Nice shots there mate! I had a We trip to South Africa about 20 years ago and it was amazing. The wildlife was absolutely stunning and it looks like you've captured it well.

Nice shots there mate! I had a We trip to South Africa about 20 years ago and it was amazing. The wildlife was absolutely stunning and it looks like you've captured it well.
Pete, may I ask how old are you?
I thought you were 20 or something :)

Pete, may I ask how old are you?

I thought you were 20 or something

Sure mmaria, I'm 34 ;) it gave me a shock to actually think about how long ago I was there!

Was over there with my parents visiting family. I'll always remember it though as the zebras had brown in them and I shot 6 rolls of film on safari with an old Pentax K!

Last edited:
Wonderful shots. I loved my trip to Kenya. Too bad I only had my phone cam with me then ... -.(\

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are wonderful shots. Africa is number one on my bucket list. I want to see a real elephant in it's real habitat.

Thanks for sharing!

These are great! Show us more. I know how you feel about going through all the photos . when I got back from eight days in Kenya last year, I had a little over 1600 to sort out. Not sure I'm done yet. lol

Thanks everyone!

These are wonderful shots. Africa is number one on my bucket list. I want to see a real elephant in it's real habitat.
Thanks for sharing!

It is totally worth it - its really hard to describe what is like seeing our classic "zoo animals" in their natural habitat for the first time. They seem so much more impressive and just seem to fit into the surroundings perfectly.

Here is a few more, the first series are probably my favorite photos of the trip:

Bohm's Bee-Eaters Targeting and Launching

Africa (327) by jareese219, on Flickr

Africa (328) by jareese219, on Flickr

Africa (329) by jareese219, on Flickr

Africa (330) by jareese219, on Flickr

Angry Mama
Africa (286) by jareese219, on Flickr

Africa (211) by jareese219, on Flickr

African Hoopoe
Africa (289) by jareese219, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, and thanks for all the kind words.

Wow. All good too. LOVE the elephant and cat one.

Some terrific shots there, jaree! I'm a bit envious! I have so many other places on my bucket list, that I don't imagine I'll ever actually make it to Africa.

Of course, I'm somewhat partial to those bird shots! I love seeing birds we don't have around here.

I think I'd like to NOT have been quite so close to that croc!

Wow! I can't pick a favorite! That croc is intense! But then again, that cheetah! BUT then again!!!! That lion! Wow, really nice set

It is difficult to pick a favorite. That's a great head on shot of the elephant, but I lke the two shots of the leopard ,also. (probably because it's the one critter that I did not get to see)
Don't stop now!

Wow. All good too. LOVE the elephant and cat one.
Thank you!

Some terrific shots there, jaree! I'm a bit envious! I have so many other places on my bucket list, that I don't imagine I'll ever actually make it to Africa.

Of course, I'm somewhat partial to those bird shots! I love seeing birds we don't have around here.

I think I'd like to NOT have been quite so close to that croc!
Thanks, he did seem a bit eager as he marched toward our boat!

Wow! I can't pick a favorite! That croc is intense! But then again, that cheetah! BUT then again!!!! That lion! Wow, really nice set
Haha thank you, this pretty much echoes my wife and I trying to trim the photos down to a reasonable number!

It is difficult to pick a favorite. That's a great head on shot of the elephant, but I lke the two shots of the leopard ,also. (probably because it's the one critter that I did not get to see)
Don't stop now!
I think the leopard was the highlight of our trip. Saw it at sundown on our last day of safari after our guide tracked him for about an hour. Just absolutely beautiful, and we nearly missed him in the grass not 10 feet from our vehicle.

Here's a few more! Thanks again for looking, its fun to share them

Pied Kingfisher, favorite feathered animal of the trip, they like to hover over the water before diving straight for their meal - incredibly entertaining to watch, very difficult to photograph
Africa (353) by jareese219, on Flickr

Egyptian Geese
Africa (192) by jareese219, on Flickr

Crowned Cranes
Africa (184) by jareese219, on Flickr

African Fish Eagle
Africa (169) by jareese219, on Flickr

Tough Life
Africa (89) by jareese219, on Flickr

Crested Barbet
Africa (83) by jareese219, on Flickr

Lilac-Breasted Roller
Africa (50) by jareese219, on Flickr

Swainson's Francolin
Swainson's Francolin by jareese219, on Flickr

Hopefully that's not too many, thanks again for looking!

Jack

Most reactions

Back