After my first camera

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by redtippmann, Jun 8, 2009.

1. redtippmann

redtippmann TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi everyone just had a question today,
    I have had my one and only camera for a while now. Its a D50, and its been a good camera no problems so far. But its seems like its limiting my photography, mainly because it cant handle an ISO over 400 with out a lot of grain, and the sensor size doesn't allow for tight coping when it would be useful.
    If I wasn't that much into photography it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. But this is what I want to do in the future for a career (hopefully!). So it seems to me that investing into another camera wouldn't be a waste.
    I am the only yearbook and newspaper photographer at our school so I'm always assigned to sports events and indoor meetings, so I was looking for a camera that can handle low light situations but have a fast enough shutter speed.
    So the question is, what do I start saving for next? Should I stay with Nikon and get something like the D5000 or D90. But I also have been wondering about switching over to Cannon but thats a whole other topic(Nikon or Cannon).

So if anyone has anything to enlighten me about this it would be greatly appreciated!

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    After struggling with high ISO issues myself I went with the D90 and couldn't be happier, I love this thing.

3. Josh220

Josh220 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The way I see it is that the D90 is still an entry level camera (it's just a little more advanced than the lower models). The D5000 is basically the same, but it's fancied up a little such as the swivel-screen.

If you are going to save up and invest in a better body, I would look into a D300. If money is an issue, you can find them used for a few hundred more than a new D90. Used D200's are even cheaper.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are ways to 'shoot around' digital noise...mainly by Expose Right.

I wouldn't bother switching systems, both Canon & Nikon are as good as it gets in this aspect & market segment.

If you are going to upgrade, I think the D700 is one of the best DSLR cameras available today.

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If you decide you want to sell your D50, please contact me.

The D90 is the Nikon's top of the line entry level camera. It has the same image sensor as the more expensive D300 so it actually has a bit better high ISO performance than the D300.

The D90 does lack some of the feature set the D300 has like frames per second and number of automatic brackets. Any lenses you have now will work just fine on the D90.

6. redtippmann

redtippmann TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  7. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think it would help much for noise handling and cropping. I have the d70s and your problems were some of my reasons for upgrading as well (among others). I'm in love with my D300 :)

8. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually the D70 is not as good as the D50. If you plan on doing this for a while then you would be better off with the D300 but, if you feel the need to upgrade now then the D90 will serve you for quite awhile. I personally would keep my D50 as well, I regret not having kept mine after I upgraded. Which ever body you choose your next upgrades will all be glass or, should be. Also remember the D5000 does not AF with lenses that dont have their own motors so, you limit your lens selection to some extent.

9. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Just wondering, what kind of lens(es) do you currently have with your D50? A fast lens will for sure help in this type of situation.

10. redtippmann

redtippmann TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I only have three:
    Nikon 18-50 kit
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon 55-200mm VR

11. redtippmann

redtippmann TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    PS I will probably save up on a D300 and get that next year when I can get a job. And will keep the d50 as a back up or just keep my 50mm and flash on that then my 55-200 on the 300. But who knows?

12. Baaaark

Baaaark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    35mm 1.8? 85mm 1.8?