After some research...

teids

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi TPF members,

I am new to photography and I would be interested in buying a dslr. In order to choose which equipment to get, I have red a lot of different reviews but for some reasons I can t really make my mind.

I would use this camera for action/extrene sports (fast fps would be a plus), landscapes and portaits.

I have a budget of 800$(US) max and I have narrowed my choices to:

Pentax K20d (which versatile lens should i add to it?). Would Built in stabilization be one of the main reason to lean into the pentax direction?
Nikon D5000 kit (I don t really mind about the Video capabilities and i am becoming a bit reticent about this camera after i red some threads on the tpf).

Thanks in advace for all your advices

Last edited:
Get a camera that uses lenses compatible with nicer ones. Lenses are where you're going to spend all your money anyway. Might as well be able to use them when you upgrade the body.

Thanks for your reply

Would you have any good set up to recomend?

you can see my setup in my sig. it works great, as long as you have decent light, and you could get my whole setup for probably around 800 or so if you looked. I would get used gear to start with... work on getting good composition and work on technique, and then upgrade!

<cookie cutter answer>
if you have the opportunity to go hold one, and take some shots with it...do it. it will help you greatly in your quest.
</cookie cutter answer>

personally just based on what i hear here, i would drop the d5000 and save up bit more for the d90. or try and score a used d80.

Well, fast frames per second don't do you much good without fast glass to go with it.

If you want to shoot sports/action you'll need fast glass. It doesn't sound like you'll be shooting much for low light situations, so you could go with a D200 body for around $600 or less and save for a couple nice lenses. That will get you about 6 frames per second and a nice solid body to build on.

You could always go with Olympus, I know peeps who hold true to the dslr s.

Shooting sports requires the most expensive gear in photography. You need fast, long reach glass, and multiple high fps bodies.

Worry about lenses, not camera bodies.

Thanks for all your replies.

Let s say i get a starter body like the Nikon D200, how much should i consider to spend on lenses in order to get some decent pictures and what kind of lenses would you recomend (I know a lot is also up to the person behind the camera).

Thanks for your help.

For your sports, action and even portraits, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 for $1,999 (maybe a little less).

For portraits you could also do quite well with a $130 Nikon 50mm f/1.8.

For landscapes you'll want something wider most likely... such as a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 (around $500) or the new Nikon 10-24 (around $900).

That said, I have a Sigma 18-250 and absolutely love it... it covers a huge range and ran me just over $500 brand new, might be a good place to start as well so you can find out what lengths you use most often. It will always be a great walk around lens for those times you just want to pack light.

Last edited:
If I was starting over with a $800 budget I would get a used Canon 20D on Ebay, I have owned a Rebel XT, Rebel XTi, 20D, and now a 40D..... I would never buy a rebel series again, after using a D series camera they just feel way too cheap, it's like going back to a kit lense after using L glass. The 20D can be had on Ebay for $200-$250 that would save you enough $$$ for a F4 L series glass. The 20D does 5fps, has a magnesium body. It is almost identical to the 30D, same sensor, same processor, it's only differance is lack of spot metering and a smaller display.

As a sports shooter let me give you a few basics needed for your gear when shooting sports. Landscape/Portraits can be more forgiving on gear.

Your body choice needs to have a fast accurate focus system to keep up with the action. Entry level bodies have the slowest autofocus systems. This usually comes in midlevel and top level bodies.

Fast FPS can be nice, but too many shooters use the "spray and pray" method thinking that fast FPS can make up for a well timed shot. There is use for fast FPS but it needs to be understood and used wisely.

The body also needs low ISO noise at high ISO's. I can shoot at ISO 100-200 at OSU stadium when it is a 1:00 p.m. game on a nice sunny day. Under the lights and indoor venues will require higher ISO's, even with fast glass.

Your body does need to be quick to operate. I shoot most of my stuff in manual. The ability to make aperture changes, shutter speed changes without pulling the camera away from your eyes is important.

As for good sports glass, fast glass is nice and in lower light situations necessary. You can however use slower glass if you have enough light. The tradeoff for not having faster glass, f2.8 or faster, will be in the ability of making the action pop from the page.

Understanding DOF is important to make that action pop. Your glass does need to be sharp wide open. The problem with this, is that to get glass that is sharp wide open, you usually end up with fast, more expensive glass.

Sports photography is one of the most demanding forms of photography both on the shooter and the gear.

Most reactions

Back